Cherry eye British Bulldog puppy

Hi, should I negotiate price with breeder if puppy has cherry eye? I already paid a sizeable deposit and cost of transport. Pup will have surgery prior to transport. But I’m worried about future eye issues and the other eye developing same problem. I’ve had two other bulldogs and never any cherry eye issues. I know it can happen in the breed but I don’t think I want to deal with the extensive costs. Thank in advance for any advice.  

Edited by bulldogmom

Not sure about negotiating price .... is there a pup WITHOUT the problem ?  :( A puppy having surgery  prior to rehoming does not sound a good thing to me . Mind you, I have no idea if this is a common thing among this breed- but  it doesn't sound good for conformation . 

I had a quick Google and this is what came up on some of my searches:

Preventing Cherry Eye (https://www.smalldoorvet.com/learning-center/medical/cherry-eye-in-dogs/)

Cherry eye in dogs is unpreventable. However, if you know that your dog’s breed is predisposed to developing cherry eye, get in the habit of regularly looking at your dog’s eyes for signs of irritation, redness, or unusual swelling. The breeds of dogs predisposed to cherry eye also tend to be predisposed to other ocular conditions like entropion, distichia, and dry eye. Regular observation of your dog’s eye could help you catch another condition even if your dog never develops cherry eye.

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2010/06/what-causes-cherry-eye-in-dogs-and-how-to-correct-it/

It’s not understood why some dogs get cherry eye, but it’s thought the cause could be from a parasite, some kind of bacterial infection, dermatitis, possible sun damage, cancer, fungal infection or it could be a result of a problem with the dog’s immune system. Whatever the case, cherry eye is hereditary, so it’s best not to breed a dog that has developed this condition.

Can you breed a bulldog with cherry eye?
If a dog has a case of cherry eye that calls for surgery, experts advise against breeding the dog. The reasoning is that whatever the physical conditions are that caused the cherry eye (too much flesh behind the eyelids, loose eyelid skin, etc.)Feb 12, 2014

Is the puppy from a registered breeder? (ie Dogs Victoria)
  • Like 2

Perhaps call your vet and ask their opinion so you know what you might be up for in the future . Also insurance will be void if it’s a pre existing condition. 

• Like 4

Cheery eye isn't the end of the world & shouldn't cause any issues after .It can happen in pure & crossbreeds .It can have many reasons including "shit happens "
I applaud the breeder for getting the surgery done themselves ,they could have popped it back in & just sent it too you .
Speak to your own vet if your concerned BUT you need to have a serious discussion with the breeder if your concerned  ,nothing worse than the breeder finding out you asked for opinions in a forum

• Like 3