Sydney trainer needed for introduction to e collars for fence boundary

Hey guys! I have a 2yr old rescue staffy who is quite excitable, amazing with humans, but horrible with dogs and other animals. 

My housemate recently brought their pet chickens from their parent's house and we've been working on introducing them through positive reinforcement. Unfortunately, we've hit a plateau and havent seen any improvement in the last two weeks, and she is just drooling to get them. 

I'd like to get in contact with a trainer that could work with ivy and the chickens, and if positive reinforment continues to show no improvement, would be willing to use an ecollar as a last resort to teach ivy that she can't get to the chickens through the coop fence (yes this has happened twice already). 

Sidenote: I'm asking specifically about boundary training because I know the use of ecollars is illegal in nsw except for across fence boundaries. 

those 'electronic fences ' (my opinion only ) are fine to stop dogs just wandering around a yard, but I doubt they would stop a dog with a high prey drive .the millisecond zap would be well worth the excitement/reward of chasing/eating chooks . No worse than getting scratched by wire netting, really . 
I may be wrong - but I have seen some determined dogs ! 

Step 1. Your friend who brought the chickens in needs to invest in a better coop fence - ideally a double fence set up with an enclosed roof. Or you're going to just keep losing the chickens to staffies, foxes, cats, birds of prey etc. Management of environment is the utmost importance and electric fences are frankly pretty useless on worked up dogs.

Can you show us a photo of the coop/run set up and we can provide resources on how to improve it?

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 1