Upper Motor Neurone Disease - Tamar update

• 3 weeks later...

Tamar is doing well.  She eats like a horse, but is not putting on much needed weight.  Back to high calorie Nutrigel.

I took this photo this morning - note the absence of dining chairs :laugh:  :laugh:.  Only two remain, but Tamar continually likes to get underneath the rungs.  Please don’t be worried for her: after I took the photograph, I kept watching her to see if she needed help.  She certainly didn’t -  she moved from under the rung, did a couple of circles and walked back under.   :laugh:  :laugh:    Love this litle girl more than I can say.  Coming up to 16 years (July 2004) when I swooped down and took her from Canterbury Pound.   One of the most welcome changes is that when I go downstairs to collect her, she comes when I call her and she does not struggle at all when I cuddle her - something she always did even when she was a young dog  - and snuggles into me as I give her a heap of kisses.    

49954472597_00b0d96a93_n.jpgfullsizeoutput_c4d by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just a little video of Tamar and Sooty out walking a couple of days ago.   She looks quite good here, but is definitely getting worse in terms of her wandering and wobbling to the extent that I now crate her at night and she sleeps the night through.  (Hope I haven’t jinxed myself :scold: :scold:.)  

I wonder if anyone can suggest something to hold her still and upright while she is eating.  She tends to tip onto her front legs and she regularly steps into the bowl tipping it over, getting food all through her feet and spilling it all over the place.  All I can think of is a mini mini crush type apparatus.  She takes ages to eat having lost all her teeth over the years and although I try to hold her up, it puts her off eating.  

Here are my two girls: a case of the wobbling one guiding the blind one.    :heart:    :heart:     :heart:     :heart:

50118833297_bea1217022_w.jpg4C64BCDD-FADA-4900-A23F-97068E16A4E9 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

Edited by Loving my Oldies

Poor little cat :cry:.   So sad.  

Thanks for the suggestion, @jemappelle :) :).

I’m doing that as well as putting her bowl against something stable so it can’t be pushed over.  She still wobbles into it, but I will raise it even higher to see if that helps.  

Luckily, considering where the disease affects, she is not constipated and is very regular.  

• Like 2

Short video of  eating arrangements.   She still loves her food, but is taking ages to eat the necessary amount.  I am starting to supplement with bone broth mixed with nutrigel.  I already make her food sloppy with bone broth, but a little bit of nutrigel won’t hurt :heart:   :heart:   

50124088703_246928e607_w.jpgIMG_0706 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Tamar had a check up with vet yesterday.  She is definitely deteriorating and it is now a watching brief :cry:  :cry:.  She still eats, drinks and toilets without any issues and we all have a little walk along my street.  It is an “interesting” job walking three geriatric dogs: Sooty who is blind and wants to channel a spring lamb, Tamar with her motility issues and Mezza who is never sure whether he wants to come or go.  They all can spend an inordinate amount of time sniffing a bunch of grass around a fence post, which is what it is all about.  

50343792686_4e873278f2.jpgIMG_1298 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

I don't often comment but you are doing a wonderful job with your sweet seniors.

Sending hugs to your dear little Tamar.

My last senior it was a matter of day to day and like you I was ready to take the final step with her when the time was right.

You will both know.

In the meantime cherish your times together as I'm sure you do.

• Thanks 1

Oh Cyn.... my heart sobs for you...

Fly free with the angels sweet little lady Tamar... you have left your Mummy and everyone you ever met with some truly beautiful memories we will treasure forever.

Look to the heavens tonight... there will be a new star shining Tamar love down on us all.

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1