Snook

Update added: Urinary/fecal incontinence

74 posts in this topic

Snook   
6 minutes ago, persephone said:

I was thinking with water ...maybe OFFER him water  several times a day ...after waking , after a walk , say , at 3 hrly intervals or something ? see if that helps? perhaps offering it will jog his memory? 

I've actually tried doing that multiple times, particularly before the weather cooled down, as I was concerned that he hadn't been drinking through the warmer parts of the day and even more so after a walk. He will have one half hearted lap at the water to try and satisfy my request for him to "drink" and then he stops and won't drink any more. 

• Sad 2

Snook   
1 minute ago, persephone said:

Oh Dear ...They do make 'helping' difficult ... 

Yes, yes they do. 

I just spoke to vet. His pancreatic lipase results have come back in the low normal range, so it's definitely not pancreatitis. She was going to go with the behavioural/anxiety route and add valium but I talked through with her what I'd said here, about the improvements in his anxiety lately plus that I've seen him with anxiety so extreme that if the meds didn't work he would have been euthanised, and even at his most extreme his anxiety didn't present with moaning and looking uncomfortable. I explained as well that when he was having anxiety attacks a few times a day, he would start trigger stacking as the cortisol built up in his system and begin showing increased anxiety to things he could normally cope with, which also isn't happening at the moment.

Taking all of that in to account, she said that she's inclined to see if pain relief helps him before trying valium, in case he's having age related joint pain or something similar, that isn't easily identifiable through examinations and testing. It will also give a very clear indication as to whether the incidents are pain related, before looking further at anxiety. I'm picking up 5 days worth of carprofen this afternoon for him to try and I'm much happier with this course of action, rather than going straight to assuming it's anxiety. 

I must say, I'm really impressed with how much his new vet actually listens to me and didn't rush to make a decision about his care and get me off of the phone, even though they're really busy today. With his previous vet, it was a bit of a struggle to get information out of her and ask questions or give information, as she'd say what she had to say and then go to end the call and I'd have to pretty much interrupt her trying to hang up to get clarification or give her new information. It's nice to not feel like we're a bother or that his vet is too busy to deal with us. 

• Like 7

tdierikx   

One step at a time... and hopefully the Carprofen does the trick.

Isn't it wonderful to have a vet that listens to everything you need to tell them?

T.

• Like 2

Snook   
Just now, tdierikx said:

One step at a time... and hopefully the Carprofen does the trick.

Isn't it wonderful to have a vet that listens to everything you need to tell them?

T.

It's so great. I like that she doesn't just agree with me either, but wants to know more and asks questions so she can make a decision. I'd be very concerned if she listened and then just went with whatever I said, like my old GP does. 

• Like 4

Carprofen  has been good for Sasha.. if she is looking to be in pain due to aches and pains, 2-3 days of taking Carprofen helps tremendously.

Good to hear that tests came back clear though... Give Justice a big ear scratch from me :) 

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦
  • Like 2

tdierikx   
6 hours ago, Snook said:

It's so great. I like that she doesn't just agree with me either, but wants to know more and asks questions so she can make a decision. I'd be very concerned if she listened and then just went with whatever I said, like my old GP does. 

You certainly have a treasure there... she's a keeper methinks...

T.

• Like 2

Snook   
37 minutes ago, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

Carprofen  has been good for Sasha.. if she is looking to be in pain due to aches and pains, 2-3 of taking Carprofen helps tremendously.

Good to hear that tests came back clear though... Give Justice a big ear scratch from me :) 

I'm so glad it helps Sasha. :)

I'm not sure whether it's agreeing with Justice or not.. He had his shivering and looking off going on for a couple of hours before I fed him his dinner just after 5pm. I could only sit with him for short intervals during that time, as I had to prepare stuff for my mother's 70th birthday lunch tomorrow, but he wasn't great. I gave him his first dose of the carprofen with his dinner and sat with him for a while afterwards. I left him rugged up in his blanket on the couch and when I came back out of my bedroom, he was standing like this in the dining room and not moving, even when I started talking to him. He'd move his head a bit but not his body (the blanket on the ground is what had been over him on the couch.) 

2020-05-15_06-53-25

He looked like he was feeling terribly unwell and he was still shivering but much more mildly than earlier. He's curled up on the couch next to me now and all rugged up again and keeps snoozing for a few seconds before opening his eyes again. I know carprofen can cause nausea and an upset stomach if it's given on an empty stomach but I gave it with food. Does any have any suggestions for how I can help him to feel better? Is he likely to adjist to it over a few doses? I'm not sure whether I should give it to him again in the morning or not? 

Edited by Snook
  • Sad 3

Gosh he does look unwell :( 

See how he is in the morning .. if he has perked up give him another dose.It does take about 24 hours before noticing a difference, we’ll that’s been my experience anyway.

Lacey is allergic to Metacam , when she took it for the first time the reaction was pretty soon after taking it.

*edit*  don’t know what’s wrong with my typing today but have been making mistakes all day.

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦
  • Like 1

Snook   
16 minutes ago, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

Gosh he does look unwell :( 

See how he is in the morning .. if he has perked up give him another dose.It does take about 24 hours before noticing a difference, we’ll that’s been my experience anyway.

Lacey is allergic to Metacam , when she took it for the first time the reaction was pretty soon after taking it.

*edit*  don’t know what’s wrong with my typing today but have been making mistakes all day.

I've been wondering if I've caused it by giving it to him with his other meds right before he eats, instead of feeding him first and giving that a chance to settle in his stomach before giving him the carprofen? :(

Rebanne   

That's an unhappy dog for sure. Your vet knows what meds Justice is on and would have let you know if you needed to give them at different times.

• Like 1

Snook   
7 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

That's an unhappy dog for sure. Your vet knows what meds Justice is on and would have let you know if you needed to give them at different times.

She said to give it with food and it was fine to have with his other meds at meal times, but I didn't think about whether that could lead to feeling sick if the carprofen hits his stomach before the food does. I was planning on still giving him his meds all together but wondering if I need to give his meds to him 5 minutes or 10 minutes after he's eaten instead of before, so that he has food in his stomach before he has the carprofen and it doesn't hit an empty stomach? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snook said:

I've been wondering if I've caused it by giving it to him with his other meds right before he eats, instead of feeding him first and giving that a chance to settle in his stomach before giving him the carprofen? :(

Possibly... maybe stagger them. As long as his stomach isn’t completely empty then I would give it to him maybe 30 minutes after eating.

• Like 3

Snook   
4 minutes ago, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

Possibly... maybe stagger them. As long as his stomach isn’t completely empty then I would give it to him maybe 30 minutes after eating.

Thank you. Yeah, I gave it to him on a totally empty stomach then gave the food a few minutes later. I'll try it tomorrow morning half an hour after his breakfast and see if that makes a difference for the poor little monkey. 

• Like 2

tdierikx   

Oh... poor sweet boy... he's not having the best time of it, is he?

Carprofen can take a little while to take full effect, so I'd definitely dose as you've decided... after food... so that the anagesia effect starts to kick in soon.

Hope he had a reasonably settled night after his episode... please give him a kiss on the snout from me and tell him I said he's a good boy.

Pickles and Harper are sending Justice their very best get well woo-woos too...

T.

• Like 2

Snook   
40 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Oh... poor sweet boy... he's not having the best time of it, is he?

Carprofen can take a little while to take full effect, so I'd definitely dose as you've decided... after food... so that the anagesia effect starts to kick in soon.

Hope he had a reasonably settled night after his episode... please give him a kiss on the snout from me and tell him I said he's a good boy.

Pickles and Harper are sending Justice their very best get well woo-woos too...

T.

Thank you. Snout kisses and doggo woo woos always make things better. :heart:

He settled down last night and slept well and I gave him this morning's dose 20 minutes ago, around half an hour after his breakfast. So far he's just snoozing on my lap. I wish I could just sit with him this morning until I'm sure he's okay but I have too much to do before I pick my mum up this morning. I'll be able to at least keep an eye on him while I'm getting ready and moving about. 

• Like 5

If Carprofen (a NSAID) is anything like other NSAIDs ibuprofen etc, it can indeed cause nausea etc if given on an empty tummy. Here's hoping Now it will be able to do its job properly without the problems .

ps> Happy Birthday to yr Mum  :) Hope the lunch goes well for you . 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

I’m glad he settled last night.... how has he been today ? 
Sasha hasn’t been well today.. she threw up 3 times today , it was yellow bile :( 

I only gave her a small amount of her dinner but she seemed keen on eating it.. hopefully it was just an off day.She is currently sleeping on my bed.

• Sad 4

Snook   
10 hours ago, persephone said:

If Carprofen (a NSAID) is anything like other NSAIDs ibuprofen etc, it can indeed cause nausea etc if given on an empty tummy. Here's hoping Now it will be able to do its job properly without the problems .

ps> Happy Birthday to yr Mum  :) Hope the lunch goes well for you . 

Justice did so much better having the carprofen half an hour after his breakfast and dinner and didn't seem to feel unwell at all, so it looks like that's the solution. :)

Today was nice but very, very long. After I'd dropped mum home tonight and literally just put my slippers on and poured a glass of wine, Justice went to lie down on his bed, then changed his mind and stepped off and immediately started peeing on the carpet. Sigh. I yelled no and he stopped but of course, was terrified from being yelled at, the poor love. I cleaned it up and then took him for a walk to get him to empty the rest of his bladder and he cheered up and relaxed on the walk, and is now curled up fast asleep at the other end of the couch. I fear this is going to be a very challenging time through winter, trying to ensure he never has anything close to a full bladder, especially since he refuses to go out in the rain. I'm very glad that at least the carprofen issue has been sorted out and hopefully I'll be able to see over the next few days if it stops the other issues. I just want my little man to feel happy and well. 

• Like 2

Snook   
5 minutes ago, ♦ Marg ♦ said:

I’m glad he settled last night.... how has he been today ? 
Sasha hasn’t been well today.. she threw up 3 times today , it was yellow bile :( 

I only gave her a small amount of her dinner but she seemed keen on eating it.. hopefully it was just an off day.She is currently sleeping on my bed.

We must have been posting at the same time. I'm so sorry your darling girl isn't feeling well. I hope she sleep s well tonight and is much better tomorrow. Do you have any idea what might have caused it?