Getting another dog.

Cat

I apologise in advance if this is a dumb question.  

hamish died in March. How do I know if Yuna is lonely and I should get Her a companion?  I am concerned as restrictions are lifted more and she is home alone more she will be lonely by herself. She seems pretty good for the most part but I hear her wondering around the house some nights which she didn’t really do before and sometimes she seems a bit lost.  

I am a bit torn as to whether I myself want to get another dog. 

31 minutes ago, Cat said:

I apologise in advance if this is a dumb question.  

hamish died in March. How do I know if Yuna is lonely and I should get Her a companion?  I am concerned as restrictions are lifted more and she is home alone more she will be lonely by herself. She seems pretty good for the most part but I hear her wondering around the house some nights which she didn’t really do before and sometimes she seems a bit lost.  

I am a bit torn as to whether I myself want to get another dog. 

Dogs' emotions or predict their likes and dislikes of other dogs (or puppies) will always be a mystery. I'd recommend going slowly and doing some testing before you commit.  My old girl (10 yrs) recently lost her daughter (6 yrs) to cancer.  In general she seems to be happier/livelier/more energetic without her daughter, except she's taken to doing a lonely sounding barking from time to time that I cannot interpret. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Thanks 1

You answered your own question ,you dont want one especially yet  & that is perfectly fine .
Night time would be a case of everyones gone & she still finding her new normal .
Adapt a routine that will work for when you go back to work & start now .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Cat, Hamish was very special and I, for one, loved following his antics on FB.  You must miss him dearly.   

As @sandgrubber says, emotions, like and dislikes etc of our dogs will mostly remain a mystery, but real grief can be interpreted; I have seen it personally in my dogs and others and it doesn’t seem from your description, Yuna has it, acknowledging of course that she has you at home during these restrictions.   

As for Yuna's wanderings, I wouldn’t read too much into it .... I think it is something some older/elderly dogs do.  Are Shar Pei known for getting dementia?  Maybe a little bit of this has started?  

I have to agree with @Dogsfevr.  Wait until YOU want another dog and start a bit of a routine with Yuna for when you go back to work.  

Thinking of you and Yuna.   :kissbetter:  :kissbetter:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loving my Oldies said:

@Cat, Hamish was very special and I, for one, loved following his antics on FB.  You must miss him dearly.   

Thanks.  Yes, the house feels very empty without him.  I think Yuna is liking the extra attention though.

I don’t think she has dementia. Though the vet said her eyesight is deteriorating so dunno if that could be related. 

thanks all for the replies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cat said:

Thanks.  Yes, the house feels very empty without him.  I think Yuna is liking the extra attention though.

I don’t think she has dementia. Though the vet said her eyesight is deteriorating so dunno if that could be related. 

thanks all for the replies. 

Eye sight loss can alter a dog’s confidence bigtime .

Do you leave a light on at night .

Here we have the motion sensor lights for inside in certain areas.

Helps with our oldies .

If her eye sight is going set her up for success now ,it’s simple things like her learning her house road map again ,be her her eyes and be her confidence 

• Like 2