Help with Maremma male 12 months

14 minutes ago, Farmyfamof7 said:

I’d hate for him to not accept the new girl

He will possibly accept her ..but if she is only 8 wks or so old , pls do not leave them alone . As I said - my main concern would be her bonding with him, and taking on HIS behaviours :(:(

46 minutes ago, persephone said:

keep a photographic and written record of his physical and psychological condition .... talk with someone who knows the breed , be patient, and keep us posted, please? That unfortunate family of dogs ... :( 

I will update on anything that eventuates. Yes I think it’s very sad for all the pups involved, I was saying that today to my husband. Pup has a really gentle nature, I can see that. Lucky he must have good genetics to still be of a kind temperament.

• Like 1

Hi Farmyfam, 

I have a 14month old female maremma. I'm no expert on this breed yet but I wanted to chime in + say that when I got my girl as an 8 week old pup, I was surprised by how standoffish she was. I'm used to exuberant little heelers and kelpies, and it took a while to get used to my gentle spirited, shy little maremma. I learnt quickly that I needed to let her come to me to be affectionate. She is really sweet with me now but it took a while. And I guess that will go double for your boy since he has had such a bad start.

Also, re guarding stock, I've been training my girl around our livestock since she was about 12 weeks. Now at 14 months she is pretty good but as adolescence has hit, still occasionally wants to play. So she STILL needs correction and supervision, and I don't believe she will be totally trustworthy until somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. So take it slow with your boy and don't expect him to properly 'work' for quite some time. 

I hope it's been going well with the new pup if she is now with you. They are so ridiculously lovable! (and sometimes just ridiculously ridiculous) 

• Like 1

A long time since I have been on Dolforums - but maybe it is fortuitous?

I think the person you need to contact is Linda van Bommel. Linda is a wildlife ecologist who has years of research with Livestock Guardians behind her, particularly the  Maremma. If you Google Linda you will see the many papers she has written. I have met Linda on several occasions and she is very approachable. Sorry, I do not have contact details but if you have Facebook you could message her https://www.facebook.com/linda.vanbommel.96

• Like 1

As your buying another Maremma surely you have spoken to that breeder about the situation  with your male and I gather they are raising there pups too be working animals so should be able to give you sound advice .

If this breeder isn’t able to offer advice I would be worried about getting a pup 

• Like 1