Opinions on breed

Hi Everyone,

I have a question, which isnt for me, I dont want anymore dogs :laugh:, but is for my 22 year old daughter.

She has recently moved out of home with her partner and is struggling to live in a home without a dog (our dogs are a big part of our family and she has never lived without a dog to snuggle).

She really wants to get a dog to love, she has contact allergies to dog hair which we have discovered are not set off by dogs such as maltese, poodle etc who do not moult much and she is researching a breed who are generally not dog aggressive or wary of strangers. She basically is hoping to find a dog who has a lovely even temperament.

Now before you all jump in and say, its in the training and how you raise the dog, we all know some breeds are just generally harder work than others to train. Of course there is always an exception to this rule and most issues can be overcome with appropriate training.

She will certainly consider a rescue (proven temperament as an adult).

I am really just interested in people thoughts. My family have 2 Amstaffs and a Matlese cross Australian terrier, while she loves the Amstaffs and still cuddles them, she suffers for it afterwards. 

What do you all think?

If she is happy with a medium size dog that needs regular grooming and lots of exercise/mental stimulation a bearded collie would be fitting.

One of the main reasons I agreed with my husband getting a beardie is because of their beautiful temperament and cuddly nature with out being overly needy.

Everyone tends to lean toward poodles when they have allergies but on the whole they easily become one ownered and clingy and not overly social (not all of them of course) one of the biggest reasons we no longer have any after living with them for the last 20 or so years.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Schnauzers are good for people with allergies as they don’t shed hair and can be very cuddly and affectionate. Easily trained, highly intelligent and very sociable. Although they do need regular grooming. They are a great all round dog but then I am pretty biased. Always had one and just love them. 

• Like 1

A few breeds that people often overlook in a search for,the type of dog you’re looking for. 

Lowchen. They’re on the larger side of small and really sturdy and have fabulous temperament. 
Bedlington Terrier  Dont let the breed  profile trim put you off, they can look completely adorable in an all over teddy style clip or just clipped off short without any floof. (Same for Lowchen above, most pet owners just keep them in a short all over clip, not the ‘lion’ style) also a fairly mild terrier temperament. 

oh and the Bichon Frise. One of the most delightful and affable temperaments out there. 

Edited by Scratch

All breeds shed ,those considered more suitable shed differently but all will need to visit a dog groomer .

Allergies can vary and for most it’s the dander or coat texture .

im not allergic to dogs but react to Shar Peis ,Basenjis and some Am Staffs .

some breeds considered more successful 

Schnauzers ,Poodles,Portuguese Water Dog ,Soft Coated Wheaton,Bedlington ,Kerry Blue ,Bichon Frise ,Lowchen,Havanese  ,,Lagotto ,Black Russian and other breeds .

We have had people allergic to our Mini Schnauzers but not Poodles and vice versa.

The Havanese ,Tibetan Terrier ( not a Terrier) Shih Tzu are good choices .

the Tibetan Terrier is a fab all round dog

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, NikkiandKane said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a question, which isnt for me, I dont want anymore dogs :laugh:, but is for my 22 year old daughter.

She has recently moved out of home with her partner and is struggling to live in a home without a dog (our dogs are a big part of our family and she has never lived without a dog to snuggle).

She really wants to get a dog to love, she has contact allergies to dog hair which we have discovered are not set off by dogs such as maltese, poodle etc who do not moult much and she is researching a breed who are generally not dog aggressive or wary of strangers. She basically is hoping to find a dog who has a lovely even temperament.

Now before you all jump in and say, its in the training and how you raise the dog, we all know some breeds are just generally harder work than others to train. Of course there is always an exception to this rule and most issues can be overcome with appropriate training.

She will certainly consider a rescue (proven temperament as an adult).

I am really just interested in people thoughts. My family have 2 Amstaffs and a Matlese cross Australian terrier, while she loves the Amstaffs and still cuddles them, she suffers for it afterwards. 

What do you all think?

It's not very predictable. Consider getting a rescue from a shelter that will allow returns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 8:00 AM, Kazm said:

Schnauzers are good for people with allergies as they don’t shed hair and can be very cuddly and affectionate. Easily trained, highly intelligent and very sociable. Although they do need regular grooming. They are a great all round dog but then I am pretty biased. Always had one and just love them. 

Hi Kazm, my daughter has been researching and really likes the look of schnauzers, so thanks for the idea. 
we are in QLD, are you aware of any good breeders to consider. While she really wants a dog soon, she is happy to wait for the right dog for up to 12 months.

thanks 

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

Hi Kazm, my daughter has been researching and really likes the look of schnauzers, so thanks for the idea. 
we are in QLD, are you aware of any good breeders to consider. While she really wants a dog soon, she is happy to wait for the right dog for up to 12 months.

thanks 

Hi NikiandKane. I only know of one very good lady who breeds mini schnauzers but she only has a litter every now and again. She is really good.  I can contact her and ask if she has plans of any in the next 12 months. I also have a friend who is just starting to consider breeding. She has a beautiful black boy ( he is my Molly’s son) and they have a little salt and pepper girl. She may be coming on heat in a month or so. I will also check with her and then I will get back to you. 

There are numerous breeders of Minis in Queensland.

Make sure they health test there breeding stock.

Sadly the breed is being over run with fly by night breeders in for the fast dollar .

Qld has the highest turn around for pups and the prices are higher than most states .

my advice to your daughter do her homework and be prepared to wait .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kazm said:

Hi NikiandKane. I only know of one very good lady who breeds mini schnauzers but she only has a litter every now and again. She is really good.  I can contact her and ask if she has plans of any in the next 12 months. I also have a friend who is just starting to consider breeding. She has a beautiful black boy ( he is my Molly’s son) and they have a little salt and pepper girl. She may be coming on heat in a month or so. I will also check with her and then I will get back to you. 

Perfect thankyou. Based on your experience, what sort of price do you think she could expect to pay? Appreciate your help.

43 minutes ago, NikkiandKane said:

Perfect thankyou. Based on your experience, what sort of price do you think she could expect to pay? Appreciate your help.

I’ve  been in touch with both my breeder friends. One has just recently temporarily moved to Canberra to help family members so she said she won’t be having any pups until next year maybe and the other is just beginning to breed. This will be their first litter if all goes as planned but they already have a few people interested.

I would say your daughter would expect to pay between $2000  - $3000 for a well bred, healthy pup. 
I certainly hope she can find one to suit her as they are great little dogs. We just love them so much. 

• Thanks 1

In Qld up to $4500.

Common price $3000 plus 

$2000 is cheap and Minis haven’t been around that price in general for many years .

Most Qld breeders with DogsQld upped there prices as they have to do DNA for parentage before breeding 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I thought I would just let you know that my Daughter is getting a Lowchen x bichon. She spent some time with the parents and it didn’t trigger her allergies and they were sweet lovely dogs. 
her little black puppy will be coming home with her on Thursday.

thanks for all the advice :)

• Like 2