NikkiandKane

Bowel obstruction

79 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Snook said:

How is Kane doing now? 

Really well thanks. He is getting bit tired of crate life and we are about to head to the vet for a follow up in a few minutes. He is doing all the things he should be and I expect them to say he is going well, its just to check his temp etc.

Ill update you when I get home :)

• Like 5

Snook   

That's great to hear. Hopefully the vet visit goes well. :)

We just got home and the vet was happy with Kanes progress. Kane had his dressing changed, which fell off right away and so a second one applied, doesnt look like it will stay on either but apparently its no big deal and it is only there to deter him from licking the wound. He hasnt bothered with the wound yet, so fingers crossed. He has to remain on pureed food for 4 more days and then he can transition back to solid food. All in all a good outcome so far.

I am petrified of him picking something up of the ground and eating it, so I think I will have to invest in a muzzle sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

Snook   

Perhaps you could use the time while he's recuperating to start slowly muzzle training him, so that he's used to it and happy to wear it by the time he's able to me more active? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Snook said:

Perhaps you could use the time while he's recuperating to start slowly muzzle training him, so that he's used to it and happy to wear it by the time he's able to me more active? 

Yes! Now is the perfect time :)

• Like 2

Yes, I plan to get one and pop it on him for the short times he is taken out to the toilet. I tried to get one yesterday but couldnt find an appropriate size and its hard to go anywhere right now because he cant be left unattended. 

Snook   

Before you start using a muzzle, check out this video by Emily Larlham on how to condition your dog to wearing one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Snook said:

Before you start using a muzzle, check out this video by Emily Larlham on how to condition your dog to wearing one. 

Thank you, that was super useful. I hadnt really thought beyond just putting the muzzle on for short periods at a time. I did learn that the baskerville muzzle which I was considering due to comfort is not a good choice, she shows the dog picking up treats off the ground with it on :eek: which is clearly not my goal here. Kane does thinks rocks are excellent treats!

Also I cant give treats at all right now, he is on puree diet. That might be one for after friday when I could use small pieces of SPD for treats. Off to do more research on an appropriate muzzle type.

Thanks Again for all of your support. I am finding the DOL community very nice to be part of!

Edited by NikkiandKane
  • Like 1

Snook   
1 hour ago, NikkiandKane said:

I just came across this product. Is it just me or does it look unnecessarily cruel?  https://www.outfoxfordogs.com/

I certainly wouldn't use one but then it's also not necessary for me to use one. It looks like it's for use in areas where dogs might end up with grass seeds stuck in their ears, eyes, nose or mouth, which would be worse than the hood, but surely finding somewhere safer to walk your dog would be a better choice altogether.. 

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

I just came across this product. Is it just me or does it look unnecessarily cruel?  https://www.outfoxfordogs.com/

Cruel? For dogs running thru areas of nasty grass seeds , or an area where there are millions of flies/mozzies not, not at all cruel . For thinking of leaving on a dog while it is in a backyard , not ideal . I dare say it can get hooked on things  and tear ..... 

In days gone by , I wish I had  known of these..getting grass seeds out of ears was expensive!!  ( and no, we had no seed- free spots here, sadly . ) 

Edited by persephone

wHEN MY DOG NEEDED A MUZZLE , I MEASURED HIM CAREFULLY THEN BOUGHT A soft PLASTIC "BASKET" MUZZLE . it had plenty of room/depth for him to open his jaw wide and pant properly ..he could drink fine, and I could poke treats in the side holes ;)  he was not outside unsupervised with it on , ever, but going outside, it was just a part of the process..muzzle on ..outside. Muzzle on/go for walk ... I had it on him straight after surgery so he didn't chew his stitches , so he was comfortable with it when it was really needed :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

I cant give treats at all right now, he is on puree diet.

Yes you can :) teaspoonsful of his food! or pureed mashedcooked pumpkin/apple   :) Dogs eat fine off a teaspoon  if you sort of help them :D 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, persephone said:

Yes you can :) teaspoonsful of his food! or pureed mashedcooked pumpkin/apple   :) Dogs eat fine off a teaspoon  if you sort of help them :D 

My dogs know how to eat off a spoon :laugh:  although Lacey my Cav has a harder time because of her small mouth.

• Like 2

Snook   

Justice happily eats off of both spoons and forks. If it's holding food, he's in. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Clive enjoys a bit of scrambled egg off a spoon...and yoghurt  :)

• Like 2

Kazm   
1 hour ago, Snook said:

Justice happily eats off of both spoons and forks. If it's holding food, he's in. :laugh:

Sounds just like Molly. If it’s food related she’s there. And her face fits just nicely in a small yogurt container. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Dogsfevr   

I would discuss with the vet Rick eating and his skin issues .

i have a dog who suddenly at 4 yrs started to eat gravel,same dog has also just been diagnosed with Thyroid issues 

Snook   
18 minutes ago, Kazm said:

Sounds just like Molly. If it’s food related she’s there. And her face fits just nicely in a small yogurt container. :laugh:

Haha.. Justice happily squeezes his boof head inside the 1kg yoghurt containers I buy. He loves it but is less thrilled when I clean the aftermath off of from his nose and under his chin. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Well, here a funny (not funny at the time) story about puree prep.

We got up this morning and there was almost enough pre-prepped puree for breakfast, So I fed Kane and gave him his tablets with it. Then set about making more.

For anyone who has ever smelled these salmon and tapioca SPD rolls they know they smell like fish bait, revolting! I chopped up enough for the rest of todays meals and tomorrows breakfast (he is eating 6 small meals a day). I add it to the blender with some warm water and carry the blender jug across my kitchen to the blender base, for some reason all the liquid has suddenly leaked out all over the kitchen floor and my feet, making a fatty smelly mess. I pour the contents into a nearby pan and try to figure out what is wrong with the jug, smelly fishy hands, bench, sink and now pan. Satisfied with my modifications, I pour the stuff back into the jug, attach to base and start to blend. Partly blended contents spills forth.......this is getting out of hand.

I tip it all into a big plastic jug and grab a stick blender, blend blend blend, hits an airpocket and splats the front of my clean shirt with this stink.

Eventually we get there, Kane who was watching bemused gets a little more breakfast and I proceed to bin the blender, and clean up the entire kitchen, mop the floor and get changed.

I am sure I can still smell this fish smell!!!

FYI there is no way I will be feeding this stuff through a muzzle on a teaspoon!!!! Friday Kane is allowed to abandon the pureed diet and it cant come soon enough!

Kanes skin currently looks fabulous which confirms the issue was not caused by antibiotics, we are on day 5 of antibiotics now. Once we are all healed and well we will challenge with some chicken.

• Haha 6