Bowel obstruction

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

I just came across this product. Is it just me or does it look unnecessarily cruel?  https://www.outfoxfordogs.com/

Cruel? For dogs running thru areas of nasty grass seeds , or an area where there are millions of flies/mozzies not, not at all cruel . For thinking of leaving on a dog while it is in a backyard , not ideal . I dare say it can get hooked on things  and tear ..... 

In days gone by , I wish I had  known of these..getting grass seeds out of ears was expensive!!  ( and no, we had no seed- free spots here, sadly . ) 

Edited by persephone

wHEN MY DOG NEEDED A MUZZLE , I MEASURED HIM CAREFULLY THEN BOUGHT A soft PLASTIC "BASKET" MUZZLE . it had plenty of room/depth for him to open his jaw wide and pant properly ..he could drink fine, and I could poke treats in the side holes ;)  he was not outside unsupervised with it on , ever, but going outside, it was just a part of the process..muzzle on ..outside. Muzzle on/go for walk ... I had it on him straight after surgery so he didn't chew his stitches , so he was comfortable with it when it was really needed :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

I cant give treats at all right now, he is on puree diet.

Yes you can :) teaspoonsful of his food! or pureed mashedcooked pumpkin/apple   :) Dogs eat fine off a teaspoon  if you sort of help them :D 

Edited by persephone

1 hour ago, persephone said:

Yes you can :) teaspoonsful of his food! or pureed mashedcooked pumpkin/apple   :) Dogs eat fine off a teaspoon  if you sort of help them :D 

My dogs know how to eat off a spoon :laugh:  although Lacey my Cav has a harder time because of her small mouth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snook said:

Justice happily eats off of both spoons and forks. If it's holding food, he's in. :laugh:

Sounds just like Molly. If it’s food related she’s there. And her face fits just nicely in a small yogurt container. :laugh:

Well, here a funny (not funny at the time) story about puree prep.

We got up this morning and there was almost enough pre-prepped puree for breakfast, So I fed Kane and gave him his tablets with it. Then set about making more.

For anyone who has ever smelled these salmon and tapioca SPD rolls they know they smell like fish bait, revolting! I chopped up enough for the rest of todays meals and tomorrows breakfast (he is eating 6 small meals a day). I add it to the blender with some warm water and carry the blender jug across my kitchen to the blender base, for some reason all the liquid has suddenly leaked out all over the kitchen floor and my feet, making a fatty smelly mess. I pour the contents into a nearby pan and try to figure out what is wrong with the jug, smelly fishy hands, bench, sink and now pan. Satisfied with my modifications, I pour the stuff back into the jug, attach to base and start to blend. Partly blended contents spills forth.......this is getting out of hand.

I tip it all into a big plastic jug and grab a stick blender, blend blend blend, hits an airpocket and splats the front of my clean shirt with this stink.

Eventually we get there, Kane who was watching bemused gets a little more breakfast and I proceed to bin the blender, and clean up the entire kitchen, mop the floor and get changed.

I am sure I can still smell this fish smell!!!

FYI there is no way I will be feeding this stuff through a muzzle on a teaspoon!!!! Friday Kane is allowed to abandon the pureed diet and it cant come soon enough!

Kanes skin currently looks fabulous which confirms the issue was not caused by antibiotics, we are on day 5 of antibiotics now. Once we are all healed and well we will challenge with some chicken.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Snook said:

Sorry for laughing.. It sounds like a horrendous experience and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but it's also most amusing when I'm not the one who has to smell it or clean it up. :laugh: 

It's fabulous to hear that his skin is looking so good!!! 

Oh it gets worse, hubby had to go for a reasonably long drive for work and since we are going stir crazy asked us to come. Just as we arrived into the town we were going to Kane vomited everywhere in the car, that’s same fish smell.

we pulled over to try and clean up and it immediately  started pouring with rain. 
we had to find a place to buy towels or blankets in this unfamiliar town. 
thankfully he is exhausted now and we hope he sleeps all the way home

B5705B1B-3582-4567-8540-DDEF86610B35.jpeg

Edited by NikkiandKane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have reached the point where his puppiness cannot handle the crate anymore. He ripped his bed apart in 2 minutes flat. So then we gave him only a towel and he ripped that. I take him out for short stints on lead and he is going nuts almost back flipping in his efforts to let his energy out. 
give me strength. He has a rubber KONG that I am comfortable with him having but he’s over it. I gave in and let him have an antler to chew because he’s never broken anything beyond tiny grains off one before. I am watching closely and he is putting all of his mite into destroying it!!

I’m glad your pup is out of surgery and doing well.  I had two dogs that chewed up a box (high up on a vbench) oh insulin needles and swallowed the tips. They outgrew the chewing of things they shouldn’t hang in there 

2 minutes ago, Mischie said:

I’m glad your pup is out of surgery and doing well.  I had two dogs that chewed up a box (high up on a vbench) oh insulin needles and swallowed the tips. They outgrew the chewing of things they shouldn’t hang in there 

Oh that must have been frightening. 
I really am glad he’s doing well too. I would prefer him being a little more relaxed today though. He’s being a naughty little ratbag today! :scold:

• Like 1

Both your revolting fish stories made me laugh...it just wasn't your day!

Poor you

So glad his skin is much better, you are a good caring hooman (well apart from your fishy smell that is :laugh: )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boronia said:

Both your revolting fish stories made me laugh...it just wasn't your day!

Poor you

So glad his skin is much better, you are a good caring hooman (well apart from your fishy smell that is :laugh: )

I’m sure our whole house smells like fish! Today I am determined to find a suitable muzzle, my anxiety is off the grid whenever I take him outside, he’s so quick and I have already had to reach into his mouth to remove contraband twice since he came home. Only tiny things but as soon as I look away I am sure he will consume a stone or something.

here is a photo of Kane acting as crazy as I feel.

1DA40B51-79B4-47F1-8128-4FCEB262E05A.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, persephone said:

With him busting out of his skin, it's  the ideal time time for heaps of mental work.....that will tire him, interest and occupy him, without having to exercise him lots.  Google trick training......

Sounds great. Tomorrow he allowed to stop eating purée! I will chop up some tiny pieces of his SPD roll for treats. I’m about to hit google for some tricks to teach him :)

• Like 3