Snook

Belly Bands - Pros and Cons?

32 posts in this topic

Does he know he is doing it?  Sorry, that seems like a silly question?   I've only had 2 experiences with incontinent dogs, One was when Loki was  in his last year of life, (16 years or so) He had to be confined to a large dog crate over night because he would get stressed and want to wander (he was blind and becoming senile) and he also started wetting his bed. He did it in his sleep, and never seemed to notice :(   We just gave him a rubber tub as a bed and a series of washable blankets.  

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 8:29 PM, Snook said:

I'm just speaking the truth. :laugh:

You have more faith in me than I do at the moment. I'm not feeling very on the ball with all of this being new to me. I may have had Justice for a long time but he's still my first dog, which means he's also my first senior dog. I just want him to have an easy old age after contending with so much for so long with his anxiety. It's been delightful and heart warming to see his anxiety decrease as his hearing has deteriorated, and to know he's finally getting a break in his senior years from getting stressed so easily. I just want to do the very best by him that I can, whilst also preserving my own sanity by limiting how much pee I have to clean up, and how often.. lol. 

I really do have faith in you. :heart: 
In all the years Justice has been a Dol Dog :) you've never ever given up until you worked out what's best for him. 

Totally understand about him being your first senior. And they all have their ways to challenge you. How is he today? 

• Like 3

Snook   
8 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

Does he know he is doing it?  Sorry, that seems like a silly question?   I've only had 2 experiences with incontinent dogs, One was when Loki was  in his last year of life, (16 years or so) He had to be confined to a large dog crate over night because he would get stressed and want to wander (he was blind and becoming senile) and he also started wetting his bed. He did it in his sleep, and never seemed to notice :(   We just gave him a rubber tub as a bed and a series of washable blankets.  

It's not a silly question. :) He's had one very minor incident when he let a small amount of pee out in my bed during the night, which I'm assuming he didn't know he was doing, and 2 or 3 incidents over 12 to 18 months where little poo nuggets have popped out without him seeming to realise. I've missed seeing him do two of the much bigger recent incidents with a full bladder but of the ones I've seen, he definitely knows he's doing it. He crouches his legs slightly first, like he normally does when he's about to do a huge pee, and then lets it go.. It's certainly not just leaking out or happening without him realising. 

It must be so hard for our dogs when they start getting confused. Loki was lucky to have you. :heart:

Justice has always been able to choose whether he sleeps on his dog bed, the couch, or my bed and in winter, he prefers my bed the vast majority of the time. Thankfully he's not yet showing other signs of dementia, although I realise it will most likely start to happen, and I'm trying to keep his life as normal as possible and not stress him out by preventing him from using the couch or my bed. I've bought waterproof mattress protectors in different sizes and covered his dog bed (he has a thick faux fur cover that's washable over the top of the protector so it's still soft and comfy for him), the couch cushions (followed by towels and a blanket), and my bed. At least that way everything is washable if he has an accident on one of them, as I'm assuming that there will be more of the leaking incidents as he deteriorates. 

3 hours ago, Boronia said:

there are some good tips here

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, Powerlegs said:

I really do have faith in you. :heart: 
In all the years Justice has been a Dol Dog :) you've never ever given up until you worked out what's best for him. 

Totally understand about him being your first senior. And they all have their ways to challenge you. How is he today? 

Thank you. That's really kind of you. :heart:This is far from the worst thing we've ever had to deal with and I'm sure we'll get there eventually. I'm just a bit stressed trying to figure it all out and trying to work out what's best for him, as well as being really mindful that I'm living in a rental and I have to protect the owner's property in the process. 

He's good today. I took him out for a walk at 8pm last night because he hadn't pee'd since we were at the park just after midday, so he was excited to get an extra outing and I was relieved that he emptied his bladder and didn't have to worry about any peeing incidents for the rest of the night. I'm waiting to see how he goes today and tomorrow before I get too excited but he hasn't had any shivering/shaking and moaning incidents for the past two days, and there's a very high chance that his shaking on Saturday was just anticipation/desperation over food, since it was only while there were four of us sitting down to lunch and my little food whore was lurking next to the table in the hope that he could sucker someone in to feeding him (he successfully scored some ham from my aunty lol.) I'm keeping everything crossed that this continues today and tomorrow, as that will mean the carprofen is working and it was a pain issue that can be managed, rather than an escalation in anxiety. 

Edited by Snook
  • Like 4

Snook   

I took this short video of Justice at the park today. It's nothing terribly exciting but I thought I'd share it so you can all see that despite his age and the incontinence/dementia issues, he's still doing great and is his usual happy self. This was about half way through the walk and he spends the whole time running back and forth like this with lots of sniffing in between, and usually spends some of the first part of the walk running flat out like a little bullet instead of the slower run he's doing here. I was going to record some of his flat out running but I made the mistake of bringing some of the extra good treats with me today. He stayed by my side bouncing around hopefully, until I'd used them all and only had the normal good treats left, by which time he was slowing down a bit.. lol. It's hard to think of him as old most of the time, especially when he's running and doing flying leaps and wrestling with his much younger doggo friend, which he'll get to do again later this week. 

• Like 9

tdierikx   

Look as his happy face... and those ears... such a good boy!

T.

• Like 2

Look at him, NOT acting his age ....just wonderful. :clap:

• Like 3

Kazm   

If we didn’t know how old he was I’d swear he was just a young one. So sweet bouncing around like that. Such a happy, lucky doggo.

• Like 4

tdierikx   

I keep wondering when Harper (nearly 8) will slow down... being part Great Dane, you'd think she'd have matured some by now... but no... *sigh*

It's lovely to see Justice letting out his inner puppy... such a happy boy who is obviously much loved by his mummy... and is returning that love in spades.

T.

• Like 1

tdierikx   
1 hour ago, Snook said:

@tdierikx I hope Harper stays young and silly for a very long time. :heart:

Dog help me she stays this silly... she's a nutcase!  LOL!

T.

• Haha 1

T, here's  hoping Harper still has heaps of zoomies in store!

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1