Labrador pup prices

Frank22

Hi All,

My family and I have been researching on getting a dog for a while now and have settled on getting a Labrador. I have searched the forums and saw there was a discussion around prices in a post from 2012 but thought I would ask again as I would imagine things may be different now. 

A registered breeder I reached out to in Sydney has advised they could offer one later this year for $3,200. I am just trying to understand if this is in fact the going rate?  The breeder is quite reputable based on the reviews I have read and having visited their facilities they do seem to be running a well maintained place. 

Appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you!

If the parents have had all the health checks to show they are sound and likely to throw sound offspring, then I'd say the price you have been quoted is reasonable.

It costs money to maintain healthy breeding dogs, and even more to raise a litter of pups properly... to mitigate any foreseeable issues later down the line.

T.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

If the parents have had all the health checks to show they are sound and likely to throw sound offspring, then I'd say the price you have been quoted is reasonable.

It costs money to maintain healthy breeding dogs, and even more to raise a litter of pups properly... to mitigate any foreseeable issues later down the line.

T.

Thanks T, and definitely agree if that is the going rate for getting a good healthy pup then so be it. 

• Like 1

With a pup from a reputable breeder, amongst other things, you are usually paying for research, for testing of the puppy's predecessors, for the fact that you KNOW the parentage/bloodline of your new puppy , and for the experience of the breeders in raising their puppies..in improving the breed, in testing and breeding to minimise/cut out genetic health conditions . and providing support to new puppy owners like yourself. 

2 hours ago, Frank22 said:

having visited their facilities they do seem to be running a well maintained place. 

Are the puppies from show stock,. or are they from a working line, doing retrieving, or similar ? Have you been able to google older siblings or other relatives, from that kennel, and see how they've done at shows etc ? Doing research like that is always fun :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persephone said:

With a pup from a reputable breeder, amongst other things, you are usually paying for research, for testing of the puppy's predecessors, for the fact that you KNOW the parentage/bloodline of your new puppy , and for the experience of the breeders in raising their puppies..in improving the breed, in testing and breeding to minimise/cut out genetic health conditions . and providing support to new puppy owners like yourself. 

Are the puppies from show stock,. or are they from a working line, doing retrieving, or similar ? Have you been able to google older siblings or other relatives, from that kennel, and see how they've done at shows etc ? Doing research like that is always fun :)

Thanks Persephone, I am not actually sure if the puppies I saw today were from show stock or not. I had not thought of researching like you suggested but now that you have mentioned it I am interested to find out! Will see what I can find out. Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

• Like 2

Price sounds very reasonable .
Ask questions about the dogs.
Whether show or performance breed or even a breed er who uses the word Boutique breeder to make them sound "special " ask questions.
Asking about the above will give you a better understanding of what they breed for & potentially the drive of the dogs they bred.
Not all breeding dogs will have shown or competed ,doesn't mean there any lesser .A lovely plain bitch for example(show folk use it in a good term) may not be a show winner but tick all the boxes to still be a great animal in a breeding programmer.The same will apply to a working dog by asking questions like this you get more dialogue from the breeder & a feel for there dogs & there reason for breeding .
First off health testing ,before finally committing ask to see them.
Are they registered & with which organization.

• Like 4