Snook

Small warning if you're going to try using a dremel for your dog's nails

10 posts in this topic

Snook   

I stopped taking Justice to the groomer to have his nails done when the pandemic started and, after trying unsuccessfully to do them myself with a sanding block (his nails are too thick and grow too fast to make much progress), switched to using a dremel. I was warned at the time by @Scratch to make sure I didn't inhale the dust/powder generated when the nail is ground down and had initially been careful to keep my face back and try not to breathe in during each short burst of dremelling.

Today I got a bit slack about the breathing and also didn't think about the fact that my face was much closer than before, as I'd put my reading glasses on to better see the layers of the nails and the quick, since I'm trying to push the quicks back over time. I've ended up with a nose and throat full of dust/powder and feel pretty average. I could feel it starting just as I moved on to his last paw. For about 8 hours now I've had an irritated, sinusy nose and a feeling in my throat similar to the very early stages of getting a sore throat. I have zero doubt that the dremelling is the cause and should have known better after being warned by such an experienced groomer. I'll definitely be wearing a mask next time but wanted to share for anyone who might be new to using a dremel, either now or in the future (assuming this comes up should anyone search the forum about dremels.) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Kazm   

Hope you feel better soon

• Like 1

Snook   

Thanks @Kazm. It's my own silly fault as I was warned before I bought the dremel but I figured if I could prevent someone else from making the same mistake, it was worth sharing. Last night wasn't much fun and I'm still feeling it this morning but it's a lot milder, so hopefully I'll be back to normal by tonight. 

• Like 2

Rebanne   

It's funny @Snook but when I read your post I was thinking but I've never had your problem and I've been dremeling my dogs nails for over 10years now. But I've just done Warriors nails and I realise I hold my breath while doing them :laugh: and I wear glasses as well. I can see the dust flying and as I often do my dogs when they are on my bed I've seen the dust on the blanket but I never realised I was holding my breath until today!

• Haha 2

Snook   
2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

It's funny @Snook but when I read your post I was thinking but I've never had your problem and I've been dremeling my dogs nails for over 10years now. But I've just done Warriors nails and I realise I hold my breath while doing them :laugh: and I wear glasses as well. I can see the dust flying and as I often do my dogs when they are on my bed I've seen the dust on the blanket but I never realised I was holding my breath until today!

You're apparently much smarter than I am! :laugh: I put a towel or blanket under Justice to catch the dust as I do them on the couch, and have to clean the coffee table next to it afterwards, so it's not like I'm not aware that dust goes everywhere. *this is where we need the roll eye emoticon*

• Like 1

Snook   

Just updating in case how long I've been dealing with side effects is further incentive for others to be more careful than I was whilst using a dremel. Although I thought it was easing up when I commented on Monday, I was very wrong. I got a lot worse as the day went on and Monday night was horrendous with sinus pain, blocked nose and my throat being so dry and scratchy that I had to keep getting up for a drink because it was intolerable. I tried using an antihistamine nasal spray that I use for hayfever but it did nothing. Tuesday was pretty miserable too and I ended up going in to the chemist for help. I was sent home with a saline nasal spray to try and flush things out and some strepsils to ease my throat. I also did some gargling with salt water to try and clear any particles that might be stuck at the back of my throat. I slept okay but woke up with a cracking sinus headache early this morning that wouldn't shift until about 3 hours ago, despite a few rounds of aspirin, codeine and prescription migraine medication throughout the day. I kept using the saline spray every couple of hours and it seems to finally have done the trick and flushed out the worst of it. My throat is down to just a mild annoyance and I bought some Vicks Vaporub today to try and help keep my sinuses clear overnight so I can sleep well. Fingers crossed the last of the side effects disappear overnight.

I'm not looking for sympathy but wanted to share how bad inhaling nail dust can be so that no one else has to go through it. So, either keep your face well away from the dremel/nails, don't inhale, make sure you're blowing the dust away from you, or wear a mask. I'll be going with the mask from now on, as I definitely don't want to feel this awful again any time soon and I can see me forgetting and accidentally breathing in while I'm doing Justice's nails. *I need that eye roll emoticon again*

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

That absolutely sucks, but glad that you feel you're getting on top of it. Also excellent that you felt comfortable enough to ask for help - especially given saying I have a scratchy throat and breathing issues right now in public is confronting even when you can pinpoint the cause :heart:

• Like 2

Snook   
47 minutes ago, mackiemad said:

That absolutely sucks, but glad that you feel you're getting on top of it. Also excellent that you felt comfortable enough to ask for help - especially given saying I have a scratchy throat and breathing issues right now in public is confronting even when you can pinpoint the cause :heart:

I prefaced my question by saying that I realised I was an idiot and that I'd done some sanding without a mask on, so that they'd know I wasn't contagious before I got to the bit about my throat and sinus issues. They were great about it and really helpful. I'm also feeling amazing this morning compared to how I've been all week. I've got the mildest of sniffles but otherwise all good. Justice will be very happy to finally be getting out for a good run today. :)

• Like 4

So glad you're on the mend :) Enjoy the sunshine today  

• Like 2

Kazm   

So glad you got help and seem better. Maybe taking Justice out for a walk in the fresh air will help you too. Enjoy. 

• Like 2