Suture reaction?

Yep me again with the poor poor dog who entirely everything seems to go wrong with :banghead:

I noticed yesterday afternoon that Kane’s suture line which had previously looked quite good ( although lumpy not too bad and it was even all along) now looked reddish and sort of inflamed. I’ll post a photo below. We will be back to the blasted vet today to get it checked. Has anyone had a similar issue? he is 18 days post op and last Friday got the all clear from the vet.

24B0F939-F987-47FD-B121-4D01D52B5CCE.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jemappelle said:

It's hard to tell from the photo as I couldn't enlarge it but suture reactions are pretty normal.  It looks like a reaction to the internal sutures and hopefully some meds will settle it.  

Oh gosh I hope so, I read that 60% of suture reactions result in the need to remove the suture material, this poor dog has had such a tough road and the poor bank account can commiserate as well :hitself:

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Snook said:

Bloody hell. You guys just can't catch a break. I'm so sorry. Hopefully the fix is as straightforward as jemappelle said and some meds will sort it out for your sweet boy. Please let us know how you go at the vet with him. 

I sure will, I couldnt get him until 4pm, so I will update afterwards.

I wasn’t very happy with the vet today, because of the short notice appointment I got a random vet I’ve never met before. She had a quick look at the suture site and said it’s just a fatty area.... I pointed out the blister type spot and she said it is his umbilical scar (no way it just grew there). I said I didn’t think so, so she suggested she take him out the back and have a proper look (yes good idea, look at it).

when she came back she told me I was right it was a blister but the only thing that came out was blood, no pus so not likely an infection......so surprise, probably a reaction to suture material. She was a bit stumped what to do, gave me some antibiotics and told me to come back in a week. 
I asked about it being an allergy reaction and she said yes probably and if it is it might need to be reopened and sutures removed, replaced with other sutures but then she commented that there are only 2 types and the other type won’t dissolve. She gave me a dosage chart for different antihistamines and that was that.

i left feeling discouraged.

made an appointment for next Wednesday with the vet who I normally see and am thinking all sorts of things. 

If it is an allergy reaction would it be possible to suppress the allergy response with cytopoint injections to allow the dissolving stitches to dissolve rather than opening him up again? Or if not for that long, long enough to allow the subcutaneous layer to heal and not require any replacement stitches. Obviously external stitches would be needed but couldn’t they be removed after 10 days?

what are all your thoughts.

seems my boy is allergic to a lot and it will most likely worsen with time. Cytopoint injections appear to be in his future!

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Snook said:

I wouldn't be very happy with that level of service either. Not assessing him properly to start with, not knowing what to do and just giving you an antihistamine chart and sending you on your way is unacceptable. It might be worth calling the clinic in the morning to expressing your concerns about the competency of the consult and seek a second opinion from a vet you trust, preferably at no cost to you? You and your boy have been through so much that if it were me, I'd feel uncomfortable just trying antihistamines and waiting a week for a follow up, just in case it's more complicated than that and something does need to be done about the sutures. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice about the stitches or the cytopoint injections. 

Thanks Snook, I feel a bit unsure of my reactions being reasonable at this stage. I feel mentally consumed by worrying about “what next” with Kane and I wonder if I am being unreasonable. 
I have trawled the depths of the internet for suture reactions and have discovered that reactions to dissolving sutures aren’t all that uncommon, it seems that around half the time the issue resolved itself and the other half of the time the sutures need removal/ replacing. I really desperately would rather try to

leave them insitu until the underlying muscle has healed and they wouldn’t need replacing if they need removal.

i think I will keep a Close eye on them

and if I notice any worsening I will get him

Back in to the vet prior to next week. I have a photo series of them :laugh: so I can easily compare them as we go. 
at this stage there is no sign of infection, he is happy and full of life, I will let you know how we progress.

• Like 3

My Labrador had quite an alarming reaction to her internal stitches after being spayed...there was a fluid build up like you wouldn't believe. What we ended up doing was draining the fluid every other day until the reaction resolved itself. The first couple of drainages were a good 20ml each, but she was quite happy to have it done with no sedation, and it did resolve without any need for medications (there was no infection, just allergic response) in about a week.

I would discuss with your vet that follow up consults relating to the surgical procedure Kane has had should be free, as this issue is directly related to that procedure. If he does have an allergic fluid build up reaction, simple draining of same at regular intervals should work just fine.

T.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tdierikx said:

My Labrador had quite an alarming reaction to her internal stitches after being spayed...there was a fluid build up like you wouldn't believe. What we ended up doing was draining the fluid every other day until the reaction resolved itself. The first couple of drainages were a good 20ml each, but she was quite happy to have it done with no sedation, and it did resolve without any need for medications (there was no infection, just allergic response) in about a week.

I would discuss with your vet that follow up consults relating to the surgical procedure Kane has had should be free, as this issue is directly related to that procedure. If he does have an allergic fluid build up reaction, simple draining of same at regular intervals should work just fine.

T.

Thanks,

Yesterdays appointment was no charge, I am not sure about next weeks yet. At this stage there is not a seroma building up, more like a spongy fleshy swlling running along the suture line. Appreciate you sharing your experience

• Like 1

You have to be your dogs advocate at appointments.

Yes sometimes we can over think it or look at the worse and a good vet clinic is there to listen and give you the reality answer .

Its hard these days to find clinics that don’t have a vet turn over like you change your undies .

Luckily for us we see clinics ( we have 3 we use) that are independently owned .

The 3 offer some skills that each other don’t so 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

Thanks,

Yesterdays appointment was no charge, I am not sure about next weeks yet. At this stage there is not a seroma building up, more like a spongy fleshy swlling running along the suture line. Appreciate you sharing your experience

Spongy/fleshy may be part of Kane's scar formation process... I'd be worried if it was angry red, weeping, seroma build up, or dark areas indicating necrosis.

Has he been leaving it alone? Not licking at it? Sometimes they get quite itchy as the scar line heals, and naughty dogs will lick it to try to resolve the itching... and that can cause redness... or he could be rubbing it against the floor/grass/carpet to resolve the itch too...

I have had another look at the photo you posted, and overall it looks not too bad considering the size and depth of the wound that would have been required to do his surgery.

Kudos to you for being hyper-vigilant...that will guarantee that he makes a full recovery with few real issues.

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 1

Kane’s scar is looking much better. Not sure what the answer is but the blister has dried up and it now likes kind of like something rubbed against it and made it red and inflamed. Like @tdierikx suggested almost like carpet burn. He used to drag his belly on the carpet a lot when he had a rash but I haven’t seen him do it in a long while, maybe I wasn’t watching for a little while?

he isn’t licking it or bothered by it in any way. Fingers crossed it was a minor irritation and will pass unevent:)fully 

• Like 4