Training advice for 11 Year old Kelpie/Staffy that still jumps 6-7ft fences.

Unfortunately my mother has fallen ill and is finding it hard to look after her 11 year old Kelpie/Staffy as he has not been behaving himself. 

I’m looking for some advice on how to train him to use geriatric pads throughout the night as he has recently been going to the toilet in the house. 

I would also like to get some advice on how to stop him from jumping our high colourbond fences whenever my mother leaves the house. We have placed barriers at the top of the fences, which he ends up knocking down eventually. He will also dig his way under the fence if he has to. 

He is such a beautiful boy and is wonderful company for my mother. 
So I am 100% committed doing whatever it takes to train him. 

Thankyou in advance for any advice given.  

:( I am sorry your Mum is ill... hopefully she'll recover soon. 
training a dog to NOT jump fences. I can't see a way . All I can suggest is this..  CLICK HERE and HERE
Digging under... same deal . cement blocks..wire netting placed flat all along the bottom of the fence, and anchored securely  etc . I would also suggest a strand of barbed wire . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sharniiii said:

I am not exactly the handiest person around

The trouble is ..it needs to be done RIGHT. If a gap/mistake can be found by the dog, said dog will try even harder next time ..and even harder the next ... getting smarter each time ;) :( .
being an older boy, he will be canny anyway ... so you need to be calm and precise and get some help  to make sure it all works first time :) .
by all means ask more questions ! 

• Like 1

Hello!

You will need to address why he is jumping those fences. We can barricade (etc) all we want but that doesn’t address his emotional state, which is all important! My guess is that he is an anxious fellow. Has he been jumping fences all his life, or is this a new thing?

He will need a vet check regarding the peeing accidents, and you’d be wise to look up symptoms of canine cognitive dysfunction.

If you’re on Facebook, look up the Anxious Dogs of Australia Support Group.

• Like 1

Hi,  Hope your mum is feeling better soon.

I agree with a vet check to start - it's possible he has been losing hearing/eyesight gradually (so not noticed), and the change in circumstances have added another dimension to his confidence level.

Animals are so tuned to nuances - I assume she has had him all (or at least most of) his life, so he would have completely picked up that she is not well and the different activities/visitors/coming and going will be adding to his stress.  Even if he is not showing it, he will be a very confused and upset boy at the moment.

Is he destructive?  If not, can he be left inside when she goes out?  It may not work (worst case scenario he will go through a window - so need to test and be careful before doing it), but I know when there are significant changes in my house, the dogs are more comfortable in the house - they find their spot and settle.   If he is safe with windows, he can also 'keep watch' and see if the car is there and know when it comes in the driveway.  

A determined fence jumper is extremely hard to fix. I am assuming it is a new problem, which (with the changes) mean he is very determined, and unless the fence is not very long and has easy access, then it could be father costly.  Containment is probably easiest - but unless he is comfortable in the space, it would be terrible for him mentally, so it would need to be the right solution,

Re the night time situation - can the back door be left open or a doggie door installed?  That way he can take himself out when needed.  I can't offer any any help with the pad training, sorry.

Good luck with whatever you choose

• 1 month later...

It's super important to find out WHY he is doing this. Has he always done it or is it a new behaviour? If it's new, what has changed in his life - is he getting less exercise since your mum hasn't been well, less mental stimulation & play, less treats even if moneys tight from medical bills, is your mum having to go out more often for appointments, is HE suffering medical issues or pain himself being a slightly older dog? 

Hope you can find a solution and that your mum feels better soon!

• Like 1