Trying to find more info about my dog

selvhound

Hello I have been trying to find out more information about my dog's background and hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I live in Wellington, New Zealand and in 2016 I adopted a min pin x papillon puppy. She has been the delight of my life, a wonderful smart and healthy companion. She fit my circumstances at the right time and place. I originally purchased her from a pet store (please no judgements) and they could not give me much information on where she came from. The pet store had several stores around the city and my dog and the rest of her litter had been spread across the stores for sale. Over the years I have met two of her brothers, both active lovely dogs. Their owners also had no idea where the litter had come from.

I have my suspicions on a puppy mill or maybe an oops litter. It doesn't look like there are many examples of mix breeding min pins and papillons out there (and I have no interest in encouraging the breeding of such), my only interest comes in curiosity of my girl's first start in life. She is a confident and happy dog and never showed any sign of issues. I guess I also want to know if she may be susceptible to any health issues in the future from her parents. I will add a photo of my girl here so you can get an idea of her appearance.

If anyone thinks they can help me out or point me in the right direction to find more information please let me know. The pet store can't or won't give me further info about her and my searches have not really lead anywhere so far.

Thank you for any help you can give me :)

5ee329b9685a5_alllegs.thumb.jpg.bcd731ecac96cbcb4adcb0df70b149db.jpg

16 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

Google the two breeds and what health issues they might have. That's about all the info you will find. 

Exactly this .No one can tell you anymore & this is only providing the mix you where told is even correct & to be honest looking at the pictures i would be questioning that so doing any DNA test on those 2 breeds only would be a waste of money .

• Like 3

See if the pet store was on Facebook back in 2016 and look back through the photos of that time. Maybe you can get a sense of whether they carry the same breed/cross bread a lot. That could indicate a puppy farm supply. If it is not a lot of the same puppies then probably backyard breeder (who would be breeding from the same dogs but not in the same numbers). If they seem to just have random puppies then probably they are supplied by by whoops litters. You can also google what you want to know and see what comes up like "are Buy My Pup affiliated with a puppy farm". There are people out there who are trying to expose puppy farmers and their retail faces so you might get lucky. But after that you wont find much else about your specific dog. They are pretty faceless to those kinds of breeders.

• Like 1

She doesn’t even look like either of those breeds . The petshop aren’t going to tell you were she is from , it’s their supplier so they won’t disclose .

Health wise who knows what she  might get , no way of knowing.

Why would a purebred forum have a clue where a petshop puppy came from ? 

• Like 2

I'd relax and not stress. Your dog has already made it to 4, majority of inherited conditions should have shown up by now. You could be unlucky and get something show up later and you could also be unlucky and get something show up that has nothing to do with genetics but just luck of the draw. She's a pretty little thing, stop looking for problems and enjoy your time together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

I'd relax and not stress. Your dog has already made it to 4, majority of inherited conditions should have shown up by now. You could be unlucky and get something show up later and you could also be unlucky and get something show up that has nothing to do with genetics but just luck of the draw. She's a pretty little thing, stop looking for problems and enjoy your time together.

Sound advice :)

• Like 1