Shih Tzu - information for a pet please

BDJ

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking for a dog, and is very keen on the Shih Tzu.

About them:

It is a working household, but staggered hours and several days working from home, so the dog would be home alone at times, but not a lot

No dogs currently, but have had dogs before - so know the ropes, and the dog would genuinely be part of the household

Want a puppy, preferably from SA (only 2 breeders in the directory, so not sure if SA would work)

I only know the breed in general, but they have always struck me as happy, sensible and good little citizens (as always, nature and nurture)

Health wise they seem pretty good - PRA, patella's and entropia seem to be the common issues - is there anything I have missed?

Would love to hear peoples experiences with the breed (good or not so good), recommendations on breeders (SA or interstate), other things to consider, or even other breeds (Cavaliers appealed to them, but I have heard so many horror health stories - but would love to hear that either I am wrong, or there are 'safer' lines/breeders .......  I suggested Havanese.)

thanks

I've owned Shih Tzus and while mine were healthy little dogs, they can have the problems you mentioned.  Their temperament is very different from a Cavalier (my current breed) and a Havanese.  They are very active and can be stubborn so can be difficult to train (one of mine was never reliably house trained).  They are also friendly, lovely little dogs and can hold their own with bigger dogs in play.  :)   A friend has Havanese and they are lovely little happy, friendly dogs too and if I was younger I would probably have one.  

And yes, Cavaliers do have a lot of health problems in the breed but then there is no guarantee with any living thing.  :)   My first Cav was very stubborn and lived to please herself, the two I have now, one is off with the fairies, sleeps a lot and the other smart, active and switched on.  I should also add that my first Cav came from parents not health tested but I talked extensively with the breeder about the longevity of the pup's parents and got to meet a few of her ancestors.  She lived to be just over 13 and died from MVD.  

Perhaps they could look at joining some breed Facebook pages and ask some questions.  

Hope my ramblings help.  

Edited by jemappelle
  • Like 1

thanks Jemappelle - certainly did.

I tried googling Shih Tzu - and kept getting crossbred groups.   aaahhhh.    A lot harder now than it was before :-)

• Sad 1

My sister has a havanese and he goes everywhere with them. They're young professionals who work and party a lot and he is so easy and fun he goes to wineries etc with them all the time but copes with them working not from home. Probably wouldn't be hard to train as he's smart but they haven't done much training with him, fwiw. The shih tzus I've met have all been great dogs but definitely more stubborn than the havanese ime. 

• Like 1