Sign in to follow this  
Desiree Green

AmStaff friendly dog park

5 posts in this topic

Hi Fellow Dog Lovers

Does anyone know of any dog parks in the northern suburbs of Adelaide that are more suited to larger, more playful dogs who love to run with other dogs. My girl is an AmStaff and just wants to play, but is a little big and solid to be hip-and-shouldering less substantial dogs. Her boisterous nature upsets people.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Desiree

Rebanne   

You might have to visit your local parks and wait until there are more suitable size dogs before letting her off. Of course the chance is still there that a particular dog may not appreciate your girls style of play so you need to make sure you have a good recall and don't allow her to intimidate other dogs. You could also try Facebook and see if there are any Amstaff groups in your area.

• Like 1

Snook   

The only dog park that I know had separate areas for bigger dogs and little dogs is in North Adelaide, which is a fair drive from the northern suburbs. Your best bet might be to ring the councils in the areas you're looking at and ask them for information about their dog parks, or even try the council websites first in case they give more information about their dog parks than just the location. 

As Rebanne said, you'll still need to be careful as there are bigger dogs who won't appreciate that play style. I personally don't like dog parks and think the risks that go with putting unknown dogs together are too high (my own dog went from friendly to all dogs to explosively reactive after negative dog park experiences.) Finding dogs that you and your dog can get to know and play safely with would be ideal and an Amstaff group like Rebanne suggested, would be great for that. 

• Like 1

I dont know of any Amstaff groups in the  Northern Suburbs... the experiences I have had with dog parks have put me off going near one.

• Like 2