Booked a cavalier puppy but haven’t seen it. Help!

April_Mum

Hi All, 

After a lot of deliberations we decided to bring a cavalier puppy into our family. Not great timing with COVID as there were no pups available. Finally found a breeder registered with Cavalier Club of Vic who had puppies available. So we put down  deposit for our puppy. 
Problem is I haven’t  really seen the puppy or the parents and the breeder in person. The breeder is quite reputable, with their dogs winning championships and they were recommended to us by in fact another registered breeder.
But our breeder was reluctant for us to visit as they might be in high risk category for COVID and so they don’t  want people on their property. I tried few times to see if I could visit perhaps just by myself but they  were very reluctant . Also the breeder has offered for us to pick the puppy from a convinient   location rather than us going to their place. 
Normally this would set off alarm bells but this Breeder seems very reputable.
Would appreciate any advice on this. Is this common right now with isolation to not see the puppies before booking? 

What should I do? 

Having strangers come to your home to view puppies, parents etc is very stressful and more so with the current situation.  There have been instances of dogs and pups being stolen from breeders as well.  Many, many people I know have bought puppies from interstate, site unseen.   Have you been sent photos?

• Like 5

I can imagine in current circumstances it would be hard to let strangers in the house. I guess in all me research when buying a puppy was to see the parents and the breeder and  ensure that things looks ok. It was how we got our very first dog from a breeder almost a decade ago. The breeder has sent us a picture of the pup (it isn't very clear but don't know if I am reading too much into it) and has been frank about the health issues with Cavies. They  have asked me all my details for microchipping and told me that the name will be registered with their kennel prefix. They also said that papers will be in the mail as that department often has backlogs. 

This breeder has their dogs winning multiple championships at state level and has had their pups go to other breeder as well. I guess all the previous research about seeing the dogs and where they are being raised as a due diligence is now messing with my head. 

Is this  perhaps the way people are buying puppies during these circumstances?

I sympathise with your position, but as you say, at the present time it is tricky letting unknown people into your property.

maybe you could suggest a meeting at their or your veterinarian and get the vet to check out the pup for you before you commit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, April_Mum said:

I can imagine in current circumstances it would be hard to let strangers in the house. I guess in all me research when buying a puppy was to see the parents and the breeder and  ensure that things looks ok. It was how we got our very first dog from a breeder almost a decade ago. The breeder has sent us a picture of the pup (it isn't very clear but don't know if I am reading too much into it) and has been frank about the health issues with Cavies. They  have asked me all my details for microchipping and told me that the name will be registered with their kennel prefix. They also said that papers will be in the mail as that department often has backlogs. 

This breeder has their dogs winning multiple championships at state level and has had their pups go to other breeder as well. I guess all the previous research about seeing the dogs and where they are being raised as a due diligence is now messing with my head. 

Is this  perhaps the way people are buying puppies during these circumstances?

I can tell you the current trend amongst buyers is to not give a stuff about where there pup is coming from & most dont ask any questions at all just hand over there money & want a pup asap .

Im in 2 minds regarding the breeder saying no to visits (yes im a breeder) .They opted to mate the pup during covid & the restrictions so they would have been fully aware that viewings & dealing with puppy people different so they could certainly make modifications to how things are done safely & more important;y keep people up to date on how they where going to deal with it .
Anyone is a risk of Covid but they can do socially distancing viewing .
Meeting the mum if possible is something we encourage ,often the sire may be an outside dog or an AI breeding so not possible .
I have brought dogs from the East BUT i know those people ,i trust those people,if buying local i would absolutely expect to come out especially if i have reached the stage of a breeder saying Yes.
As a breeder i also understand we have to be smart about who visits BUT i expect i have made enough communications to trust the sale of the pup & having someone out .
I can appropriate if they put a limit on visitors .

We have a close friend who doesn't allow pick ups from there place ,I personally know the person so its fine for me BUT people we have put on to them find it very hard to work with especially when articles about puppy scammers,mills or seeing the kleeniness of where they where raised is always listed as important.
I will add that that doesn't mean free roaming of our place when here .We have had the very odd person come out that took it upon themselves to "go looksy" when pulled up on it they got peeved so there's the dorr see you later .
This is our personal home & there are some boundries for sticky beaks ,

As a breeder we have also stressed to the triple the number of puppy inquiries we have had since March about the cons with going ahead with a puppy at present to ensure they have a balanced Pro/Con list & how things may be done differently with some breeders due to taking measures for safety..
We have received around 200 emails /phone calls for pups right now ,we opted to not breed .

If your feeling unsure you can certainly ask more questions .

Out of curiosty how old are the puppies at present ,we wont even consider viewing here till 7 weeks plus

Edited by Dogsfevr

Everything you've said sounds OK from my point of view.  As @jemappelle has said, many people - myself included- have bought pups from interstate without having seen pups, or parents, in person, or the breeder.   You've done good searching, and in current circumstances, you are probably lucky that you are actually able to get a pup from a reputable breeder.   

I would not be concerned about not being able to pick up the puppy from the breeder's home.   Although the risks of COVID are diminishing in places, the flu season is just getting going and if a breeder or family member is in the vulnerable group, then they will be super cautious -- rightly so.   I probably wouldn't be too worried about the photo quality or lack of videos .. again if the breeder is older, and/or not tech savvy, 

• Like 3

Thanks so much everyone for your help. We checked with Dogs Vic (member) as well as the club and got great reviews for the breeder. I guess the restrictions are unique circumstances and ensuring everyone's health and safety is critical. To date our breeder has been really helpful and supportive so we are proceeding with them. Will share cute puppy pics once we pick the fluff ball in a three weeks.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, April_Mum said:

Thanks so much everyone for your help. We checked with Dogs Vic (member) as well as the club and got great reviews for the breeder. I guess the restrictions are unique circumstances and ensuring everyone's health and safety is critical. To date our breeder has been really helpful and supportive so we are proceeding with them. Will share cute puppy pics once we pick the fluff ball in a three weeks.

That is excellent to hear.   Trust me, a helpful and supportive breeder is gold!!!!   Be sure to keep up that relationship if you can.  Good breeders love to know that their pups that they have bred and raised carefully are in good loving homes.:heart:

• Like 3