Golden retrievers and exercise

corvus

To be honest, I did have to dedicate a lot of time to specifically teaching Thyme to settle in the house - otherwise he would make me dizzy with constant movement. He would sniff one thing, run through the house to sniff something else, run back, crawl all over the couch, go sniff the corner of idk a book. Then he'd get cranky like a toddler from being so scatter brained and not resting himself. I swear he was that shark saying in another life ;) "if it stops moving forward it dies". Lots of reassuring him that if he stops moving he won't die  :laugh:

I don't mind, but I can see it being a thing people get annoyed to have to concentrate on teaching.

But that is just Thyme - his cousin on the otherhand settles perfectly and is super laid back. Very varied personalities!

Maybe keep an eye out for adults where upfront on if they're the settle or circle kind of dog?

If I was looking for a breed specifically for that role I’d probably look at a Dalmatian. I don’t know the breed in great depth but the several I have known well have all been sweet natured, easy going with other dogs, and very much built for endurance running. But there is always a chance they were atypical. 

My long distance running friend has always had English Springers and swears by them. Lives in Tas so cool conditions mostly. 

GSPs, Viszlas and Brittanies have all been mentioned but have you considered an English Pointer (Pointer)? They always seem to get overlooked in the 'large active friendly' breed discussions. IME, a showline (emphasis on the showline) Pointer is a fairly mellow house pet but still with an insane amount of stamina out of the house. My boy could run or trot all day. He can also not leave the house for 3 days and only get slightly antsy. If you have other dogs with good off switches to lead by example with a puppy they get the hint.

Generally they are very amicable with all sorts of people and dogs. My boy isn't super outgoing but not a mean bone in his body, so gentle and sweet.

• Like 3