Feeding

Would you change to a lesser quality dry food if your dogs preferred it.

We normally use Canidae dry along with tinned, cooked and raw foods, the dogs get lots of variety.

When we got Maisie the breeder was using Supercoat so we bought a bag and planned on slowly swapping her over,  I have been mixing it in with the other dogs dry and have noticed they pick it all out and leave the Canidae.

Trying to decide which food to now use, the better quality or the one they prefer.

If your dogs are doing well on whatever you are feeding then, then I'd be happy enough with that... and as perse says, if you throw in some other food types (meat, bones, vegies, etc), then you can't really go too wrong.

My philosophy is to feed my dogs whatever they are doing well on and don't go too much into the "science" about it all. Seems to be working, as they are now 10 and 8 and are virtual strangers at the vet clinic...

Over the years I've had dogs do well on the cheapest supermarket foods, as well as on the more expensive premium brands, and raw diets... it's hard to really work out why, so I don't hurt my brain about it... *grin*

T.

• Like 4

Ok I think I’ll give them the Supercoat and not stress too much, I have noticed they only eat the Canidae if they are really hungry and some days they won’t eat it at all.

Would prefer them to enjoy their food, it’s also a lot cheaper and easier to get.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

Ok I think I’ll give them the Supercoat and not stress too much, I have noticed they only eat the Canidae if they are really hungry and some days they won’t eat it at all.

Would prefer them to enjoy their food, it’s also a lot cheaper and easier to get.

You can always alternate bags or look at a more in between range off the 2 .
I groom dogs that are 14/15 yrs healthy as anything great teeth & feed tin & cheap range,groom others in the same age bracket on the top of the range & bad teeth ,skin issues .
Obviously it comes down to what suits each dogs & realistically what people can afford .
We feed a premium brand as it suits our dogs and 1 of our dogs needs but also raw ,we feed less dry & more off the raw,veggies & other goodies .We are lucky to have options & i seek out the bargains at the shops .
About 6 weeks ago Turkey mince $1 at our local shop so we stocked up,at present chicken mince $3 (this is human grade) & we can add the bone in other areas .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with feeding Supercoat. Personally I think there is a lot of marketing of the more expensive dry food along the lines of " you are a bad owner if you feed the cheaper foods so don't be a bad owner, feed our food and be a good owner! "  type stuff.

If your dog had a medical condition and needed a specialty food, that's different.

• Like 2