Rescue dogs in SA

Hi All :)
I'm only just putting my feelers out there...
My husband and i have owned Cavaliers for many years, all but one have come from registered breeders.
We lost our little sweet 7 year old girl a couple of months ago, very suddenly. She was on borrowed time anyway with health issues but they aren't what took her. ( A Ruptured Spleen tumour did) 
We still have our older male Cav that was rehomed to us quite a few years ago. Hes been healthy but starting to get older and his eyes are becoming cloudy (we are about to get them checked out on Friday) :(
Anyway its all probably too soon to start adding another dog to our family (we have always had 2 or 3 dogs at a time) but im  deeply missing the energy and spark that Miah surrounded us with. Its  just seems too quiet and i'm pining lots. Toby is fantastic but hes bit too quiet, which isn't a bad thing. I think hes fretting also as they were best friends. He often stands on her memorial area :(

Anyway so we have very briefly talked about what next.. As much as we love Cavaliers, we aren't keen to go down the track of getting another one (unless fate decides otherwise)
I've been looking on the local South Australia rescue sites and there's not many dogs available (currently) which i take that as a good thing?? The ones that are are too big or strong for us.
Ive put down our profile on Pet rescue that we are looking for a small easy going dog thats not too strong to walk (i have bursitis in my shoulder now) and will get along with Toby (hes very easy going) and we have 2 indoor cats  (not active ones)
We aren't  keen to do down the interstate adoptions at this stage.
Ive looked on DOL breeder listings for rescue dogs or older dogs Breeders might be rehoming but nothing comes up for SA that ive noticed yet.
So basically if anyone comes across a small dog that might be suitable in SA (well not too far drive away like Port Augusta, more Adelaide or surrounding Southern areas) could you please let me know.  We live in Goolwa. Im not keen to take on anything with too many current health issues as we have just been through all that and don't need any more heartache.
Id be happy to chat more about the details privately if anyone has any contacts. We have a lot of love to give in our Home  :) 
Thankyou.

Edited by julesluvscavs
  • Like 1

Hi, Jules... 
I'm no help, but I'm sure you will find the perfect new companion ... whichever lucky dog it is will have a great home <3 I remember years ago , with your cavs ....Will keep my eyes & ears open . Are you steering clear of SWF types? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, persephone said:

Hi, Jules... 
I'm no help, but I'm sure you will find the perfect new companion ... whichever lucky dog it is will have a great home <3 I remember years ago , with your cavs ....Will keep my eyes & ears open . Are you steering clear of SWF types? 

Awwww thankyou Pers!  <3

Many have said to us over the years the same thing,  We were lucky to become closefriends of breeders back in the day. One of them passed away years ago :( 
I'm open to a SWF type dog long as its not nippy.. i have met some that aren't.. I can see myself now as i'm getting older with one.
Michaels not too keen on JR's  or similar breeds, we think they'd be too active for us .
We are open to what may be out there...  Im sure one will come into our lives when the time is right  <3 x 

• Like 1

There are AWL and RSPCA branches that wouldn't be on Petrescue?  I've rescued a small dog from Lonsdale RSPCA.

THere's also Sahara Dog Rescue that isn't on Petrescue:    https://sahara.org.au/dogs-for-adoption/

Also, I'd recommend contacting breeders directly and asking if they have any ex show or breeders they would like to rehome.  I know several people that recently adopted from breeders (different breeds), dogs that were not advertised at all.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
more information

23 hours ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

There are AWL and RSPCA branches that wouldn't be on Petrescue?  I've rescued a small dog from Lonsdale RSPCA.

THere's also Sahara Dog Rescue that isn't on Petrescue:    https://sahara.org.au/dogs-for-adoption/

Also, I'd recommend contacting breeders directly and asking if they have any ex show or breeders they would like to rehome.  I know several people that recently adopted from breeders (different breeds), dogs that were not advertised at all.

Hi and Thankyou HMD :)
Ive been checking quite a few other SA rescue sites  and the one you have put up a link to but most have nothing available atm or just bigger dogs
I have been in touch with a couple of places but they said it will be hard finding a small dog and one that will be ok  living with another dog and 2 cats and one that doesn't have health issues. Least they were honest to me. I'm not expecting a perfect dog but i don't think i want to go putting myself through too many health issues having just just come out of all that.
I will at some stage contact some breeders in SA if they  have any ex show dogs they are wanting to rehome. That's how we ended up with one of our past Cavaliers (Renae)
Hows yours small dog going? Lonsdale RSPCA doesn't have any small dogs atm that i am aware of but i will keep checking. Im sure the right one will turn up when the time is right   :)