Elderly female rescue with too much testosterone?

I've rescued/fostered many dogs over the years and they have the odd bad habit but I've got a 13 yr old maltese female currently.  Came from a home of neglect where she was bred from and kept outside for over 10 years (many of the dogs i've taken on have come from similar situations and in awful states).  Her teeth were horrendous so they've been fixed.  She'd already been desexed.

My issue is that she is extremely "oversexed".  She spends much of her day trying to mount my own dogs or alternatively, scrunching items up (it's winter so I've got blankets and beds etc everywhere), today it was a large rug.  She then spends hours humping these items and constantly sniffing where her rear end was making contact with the item.  

This is week 4 and she's only increasing this behaviour.  Has anyone experienced this before?  My dogs have been so patient with her but don't like the behaviour of course.  It's also annoying to constantly have blankets/beds/towels/rugs dragged around and humped .... 

She also wees a huge amount, like territory marking when we are out and turns around to sniff where she's been.  

I'm interested in people's experience and theories.  I've got a humper of my own, Peke cross but he never bothers the other dogs and it's not every day.  This is really excessive to me and doesn't make her very appealing for being rehomed, you have to be honest about dogs' behaviours and I'm always 100% transparent no matter what it is.

Any ideas please or thoughts on how i can treat this?  Haven't been back to the vet yet, she's now over the dental but not sure what he'd be able to offer for this?

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
more detail

Vet could give her an injection of female hormone possibly. I had a female cat who was quite nasty and she had a couple of shots some years apart. I also know of a colt who was way too colty and had a shot. He was a thoroughbred yearling to go to the sales so not for gelding. Both of these were many years ago. I'm sure there are other ways to manage it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Vet could give her an injection of female hormone possibly. I had a female cat who was quite nasty and she had a couple of shots some years apart. I also know of a colt who was way too colty and had a shot. He was a thoroughbred yearling to go to the sales so not for gelding. Both of these were many years ago. I'm sure there are other ways to manage it.

Thank you, I think we might be heading back to the vet to see what his thoughts are.  I also wondered if she might have a UTI however she can sleep for 9 hours through the night - she doesn't want to get up when everyone else does, so am not sure if that would be the case.

I wonder if it is the other dogs setting her off?  She might be fine in a single dog home.  I rescued a little Silky many years ago that was quite feral in her behaviour - guarding me, separation anxiety, having a go at much bigger dogs etc.  I trial rehomed her as an only dog and she was perfect!

1 hour ago, jemappelle said:

I wonder if it is the other dogs setting her off?  She might be fine in a single dog home.  I rescued a little Silky many years ago that was quite feral in her behaviour - guarding me, separation anxiety, having a go at much bigger dogs etc.  I trial rehomed her as an only dog and she was perfect!

Yes hard to know, we were told she didn't have any interest in other dogs although she lived with them but after i brought her home, she ran around howling, it was awful.  Didn't know if it was due to separation but there were a lot of other dogs and you couldn't rehome that many.   She has huge separation anxiety but has gotten better over the last 4 weeks.  It's a work in progress ....

• Like 1

I always thought humping and marking were dominance behaviours? Can be displayed towards other dogs, but also people and the objects belonging to/smelling of those dogs and people.

Maybe it's because she is in a new pack (you plus your existing dogs) and is working out her position in that pack - and the position she wants is Top Dog.

A read an article recently that said humping can be stress related or from over excitement.  And one of my friend's dogs does it when she gets over excited when we are out!

Edited by jemappelle