Best Value Canine Tooth Extraction Brisbane southside?

My 7yo large breed dog needs a canine tooth extracted and I have been quoted approx. $2000 or more. This seems excessive for anaesthetic, extraction, post-op pain relief and pain meds to take home. I have seen earlier posts on this site where this procedure cost between $150 and $800. Can other dog owners on Brisbane's southside please recommend a reasonably priced vet? I love my dog but I'm on a modest income. Thanks

Edited by Wolverina
want to be notified of replies

No help re vets but I just want to say that $150-$800 does not seem reasonable for a canine tooth extraction. You may be able to get it cheaper than $2k, just saying not to think it will be near those numbers! Canine teeth are harder to remove, so a trickier surgery and more time under anaesthesia (=$). I wouldn’t expect even a routine scale and polish to be anywhere near $150. The amount you’ve been quoted probably also includes necessary dental X-rays and you’re getting the whole mouth addressed too. You could see if vet pay is an option? Best wishes for your dog! He or she will feel so much better with a healthy mouth and that painful tooth gone. :) 

If it's a healthy tooth (eg that snapped or has a cavity) still well rooted into the jaw it takes a lot more time and work to get it out without it breaking off deep in the bone. Serious work. Get a couple of quotes but it won't be as cheap as a normal dental.

If it's a wiggly old one, I do think $2k is incredible! 

• Like 1

canine tooth extraction is NOT cheap . Canine teeth are difficult and time-consuming to remove , because of the anatomy / depth of the root in the jaw structure ,  and I would imagine a BIG bill . 
Anaesthetics/medications  also go on weight ..so large breed = more expense  :(

Edited by persephone