Goodbye my precious boy

NikkiandKane

Today, we said goodbye to my precious little Kane.

His life was so short, he was 5 months old yesterday and his little life was riddled with health issues but it was also filled with love and security.

i never knew a puppy so self contained, so sweet with all animals. He was truly a ray of sunshine in my life. 
it all happened so fast, this morning he ate breakfast and started having zoomies like always, he laid on his bed while I worked. All normal and then suddenly he vomited twice, he started shaking violently and we rushed off to the vet. Since he had previously had an Obstruction we suspected the same, even though he is literally never out of my sight but the xray and ultrasound showed nothing, we gave him markers for the xray and took bloods and put him on fluids. The bloods showed he was anaemic and his stomach was filling with fluid. We just don’t know what happened but he went into shock and downhill fast. He was moaning in pain even after opiates.

the vet said we should be kind and say goodbye, so I held him and kissed him until he slipped away. Now I’m am empty and exhausted.

i am glad he came to us, even though he cost such a lot in such a short time. I have no regrets, we gave him the absolute best life he could’ve had anywhere and he gave us so much love in return.

DAE93B30-FEF9-4184-8C69-2563DC00767E.jpeg

Edited by NikkiandKane
  • Sad 8

Oh my gosh. I’m so shocked and saddened to read this. The poor little guy. And you too. You put so much into this sweet little guy. Please take care of yourself. You gave him the best life. 

Oh jeebus @NikkiandKane... my heart sobs for you...

Fly free with the angels little man Kane... I'll be looking for your special star in the heavens shining love down on all of us... *sob*

My beloved Woosie is at the Bridge... she will show Kane where all the best sunny snoozing spots are... and where to chase the best bunnies... he is in great company, OK?

Massive hugs to you and yours from me and mine.

T.

Thanks everyone, I needed to share with some dog lovers, I feel so so empty and sad. He was so very special, he had learned so many tricks lately and was progressing so well. Forever a beautiful puppy. I miss him so much

• Sad 6

I havent even managed to get out of bed yet this morning and I’ve already cried a river. I wish I could rewind time and have my boy here to cuddle. 
I might just go back to sleep.

how do people deal with this pain and loss. I’m ashamed to say that this feels as bad as losing my own brother did. 

• Sad 5

I'm so sorry.  What a beautiful little boy he was.  As for dealing with the pain and loss - having lost many dogs over the years, it is always the same.   The joy, love and companionship they offer us are the reasons most of us will eventually have another dog in our lives.  Be kind to yourself and keep your lovely memories of Kane close to your heart.  

Love is love Nikki. Don't be ashamed. You have been robbed of years with Kane. It isn't fair. Anytime I have lost a pet sooner then expected the grief has always seemed to have a bit more of a bite. Have a doona day or two or three or whatever you need. Take care of yourself. Eat well. Cry hard. You will learn to live with the pain and it will ease, but it all takes time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

how do people deal with this pain and loss. I

It's hard. It can be worse than losing a person. Grief will do what it need to do . Sleep is good, crying is good .... you have been hurt, badly . 
Eventually it will lessen a bit . Not tomorrow..maybe not next month..but it will . It takes a long time when the hurt is deep. 
If you need to, talk to a counsellor , or your GP . They will not think you are being silly . 
Most of all, remember , while it is all so very raw and fresh ... please take care of YOU  at this time , now it's YOU that needs the looking after .Snuggle with Scout ...she'll appreciate it, too 

:kissbetter:

• Like 2

You are allowed to feel exactly what you are feeling now Nikki, most of us here know about that bloody big hole that's left in your heart.

It will get easier, it never goes away completely but instead of that awful grief you will have a happier memory that makes you smile.

You will never forget your darling little boy.

:hug:

• Like 1

Thank you all so very much. Today has been harder than yesterday. I feel so sad that Kane never got to reach his potential. We loved him so very much and you’re all right, we went through so much and that built such an enormous bond. Eventually ending with me holding him as he slipped away. It’s too much to endure and I am very great full for all of your support xxx

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I'm so sorry for your loss Nikki, it's even harder I think when so sudden and of course him being so young. It is a big loss and good that you wrote here because fellow dog lovers do understand. Take care of yourself and go gently cause it is indeed a lot to endure. RIP beautiful Kane. :heart:

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry to hear about Kane, what a shock for you.  It's never easy losing them, but especially hard when they are so young, and you had been through so much together.   :(
Cry all you need to, have as many doona days as you need.... all the pain that goes with losing a loved one (whether person or pet) takes its toll on us, so take care of you.

Run free little Kane.  When you are at the bridge, there will be a lot of our doggies to show you the way.  :rainbowbridge:   

• Thanks 1