Toilet training

Moggy91au

Had my three month old Chihuahua puppy for four weeks now. I take her outside for toilet and she will do wee which is good but she poops inside. She sneaks off to one of three areas in the house. Very hard to catch her in the act. Any advice please.

It is worth looking up what a shy toileter is as it sounds like she's developing into one with pooping. 

Make sure you never reprimand her, none of that old school bollocks about rubbing her nose in it and no shouting and grabbing her as she starts to toilet. 

Go back to putting her on lead when you go out to toilet (so she can't go off and have a party) and walk back and forth for an least 10 minutes - walking encourages toileting so it is giving you a better chance to catch the  need to toilet. When she poops in front of you don't interrupt and give her a really big reward at the end, a few small easy to swallow/no need to chew treats (ziwipeak is excellent for this as you can make the treats tiny and the scent and meatiness means they tend to love it) and a low volume but excited vocal reward too. She needs the reward to be pretty amazing to make her want to toilet outside and in front of you. 

If you want to add a cue, I followed the advice of (I think it was dogmad?) someone on here and used the word/cue when they were doing the action the first few times and then saying it a before and during. 

Chihuahuas are sensitive, make sure you don't punish or yell at her, no accidentally surprising her either is that can be scary for a little pup. 

Edited by mackiemad
  • Like 1

Have you considered using a puppy pen (inside)?

That way you could restrict her from toileting in those areas until her toileting is more established. 

Vebo pet supplies sell great ones and they are well priced and they deliver also.

Leerburg have lots of free video content on how to use a pen to manage your puppy, if you go to their video section and just search 'pen' they should come up :)

https://www.youtube.com/c/LeerburgDogTraining/videos

Edited by love4paws
  • Like 1