Your First Dog

We had family cats and dogs (some purebred and some strays) ever since I was born but the first dog I got to choose for myself was an Old English Sheepdog I called Phobie (I thought that is how you said and spelt the name Phoebe). I was 16. 

• Like 3

Hi :)
My first dog as a child was a  black poodle x terrier called Abby (My Parents brought her for me from the Animal Welfare League here in SA)  I had her for many years :heart:
I also grew up with German Shepherd dogs as my Parents were registered GSD Breeders back then :) 

• Like 3

Our first dog was a Labrador cross girl named Nuppy (my brother named her). We lived in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea, in Goroka, and the local landowner's (coffee grower and supermarket tycoon) stud Labrador had gone roaming and found a neighbour's female crossbreed to get friendly with... lol! Nuppy was all black, and looked like a slim Labrador.

She certainly taught us a LOT about raising pups/dogs... we had to clean up all of her overnight messes from the laundry before we went to school, and when she was 6 months old, she got Distemper, then Meningitis... that was scary, she was not a well girl at all! After that though, she was allowed to sleep inside on whoever's bed she chose - not out in the laundry... *grin*

When she was 15 months old, she got pregnant to a neighbour's dog and had 8 beautiful puppies of her own - I hepled whelp them, and refused to go to my judo lesson that afternoon because I was busy helping Nuppy with her babies. All pups were adopted by lovely people.

When we left PNG, we had to leave Nuppy behind, as the Distemper episode meant that she would have been in quarantine for an extended time at an exhorbitant cost. We found a great family for her, who would send us letters and photos about Nuppy's adventures at least twice a year... up until she passed away some years later. It was such an excitement to get those updates... we pored over them and the photos and knew she was being well looked after.

T.

• Like 5

Hi! I had my first dog when I was about three months, my dad is a huge lover of dogs and he had about ten dogs throughout his life before I was born and when I was born he got a Japanese Shih Tzu named Bella. However, we had to get her a new family when we moved states. I don't remember her much as we moved when I was a year and a half. Unfortunately, I don't have much photos of her either, just a very few where she's in the background (mom would take the photos and she's a little scared of dogs, took her a while to get used to Bella, according to dad). 

Now, I have another Japanese Shih Tzu named Lexi, and she's been with me for 3 years now. 

• Like 2

Dog I was born with was dads red heeler, Blue .

First dog I owned was Pickle a silver toy poodle. Amazingly intelligent trainable breed and just as protective as dads boy Blue.

No one could raid my room .

Sure didn't need a lock on the door.

Fascinated by the Japanese Shih Tzu.

Do you mean Japanese Chin?

• Like 2

My first dog. Atlas, my bull terrier 

Growing up we had a boxer, Suzie

Then a red cattle Dog called Major, then out Stafford Zeus and dad got a British bulldog, Duke, just before I moved out 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jemappelle said:

My first dog was Cindy, a cattle dog cross, from the RSPCA.  She was the perfect dog for me as a newbie dog owner, in my early 30s.  post-19-1089252292.jpg

She looks like a purebred to me, I have two just like her, Kellie and Bluebelle both ANKC registered purebreds.

Hilton Sinclair of Berrilyn, told me to always keep a few reverse speckles as they keep the blue mottle in the breed or you will lose it, which is the hall mark of the breed.

in the 80's a dog was so popular a lot of pups were his, some of  his pups were really dark, seemed to look all black.

Never forget those years. People would come and oo and ahhh over what beautiful blues they were, which I thought odd. since all cattledogs are supposed to be either blue,  or red?. One lady in particular, stopped at my gate, wound down the window and handed me the money, she didnt even get out of the car?  I asked her, but you havent even examined the puppies ? 

she said, "they are blue, Ive been searching for a blue and your the only one whose puppies arent black and tan!"

so I decided to have a look for myself and phoned one with those line pups,  when I arrived at the property, what I thought were three stocky black and tan Kelpies came running to the gate at the farm, he worked there and they were all purebred pedigree Australian Cattledogs with him in their breeding.

So Hilton was right. lose the mottle and you lose the blue.

Edited by asal
  • Like 3

47 years ago when I was 10 and absolutely desperate for a dog, my aunty surprised me with a black poodle for my birthday, 3/4 poodle 1/4 terrier. I cried my eyes out when she handed me him. He had the most perfect laid back nature and did the poodle whale eyes most beautifully.  Snoopy and I went everywhere together and he even went on my first date with me and my now husband. Love me love my dog!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, asal said:

She looks like a purebred to me, I have two just like her, Kellie and Bluebelle both ANKC registered purebreds.

Hilton Sinclair of Berrilyn, told me to always keep a few reverse speckles as they keep the blue mottle in the breed or you will lose it, which is the hall mark of the breed.

in the 80's a dog was so popular a lot of pups were his, some of  his pups were really dark, seemed to look all black.

Never forget those years. People would come and oo and ahhh over what beautiful blues they were, which I thought odd. since all cattledogs are supposed to be either blue,  or red?. One lady in particular, stopped at my gate, wound down the window and handed me the money, she didnt even get out of the car?  I asked her, but you havent even examined the puppies ? 

she said, "they are blue, Ive been searching for a blue and your the only one whose puppies arent black and tan!"

so I decided to have a look for myself and phoned one with those line pups,  when I arrived at the property, what I thought were three stocky black and tan Kelpies came running to the gate at the farm, he worked there and they were all purebred pedigree Australian Cattledogs with him in their breeding.

So Hilton was right. lose the mottle and you lose the blue.

That's interesting asal.  I always thought she was crossed with a Border Collie as she was very similar in shape and size.  She was such a lovely dog.  Only had to tell her not to do something once and that was it.  She even told off visiting dogs for barking at the dogs on the other side of the fence.  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ours was Tippy ( named after hubby's and later Tip's favouite food-Tip-Top bread). He was a Parson Jack Russell that we got when we were forty. Taken too soon at 10 years old  in 2013 from a snakebite, I still miss him every day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Our first family dog was a Beagle x Kelpie the kids called Marley.  The first few years were "interesting" and she sure taught us lots about living with dogs.  She grew into the most sweetest natured girl that we  loved for all of her 17 years with us.  After having two more "Marlies" over the years (of different breeds) including a current one , we affectionally refer to our first as "Big Marley".  Many other dogs have come and gone but I'll never forget her.

• Like 3