Questions by a potential new Lab puppy owner

Hey all!

I'm going to be a new potential Labrador puppy owner but before I finalised with the breeder, I just wanted to check some details as I am a first time dog owner and while I have researched plenty, its always good to get a second opinion.

The primary concern I had was in regards to the hip and elbow scores which are as noted:

For the mother:

Hip is 4:1

Elbow is 0,0

For the Stud:

Hip is 1,2

Elbow is 0.5,0.5

As I understand, the lower the score the better and the more even on both hips the better. As the score is 4:1, do you feel its an acceptable score to go ahead with the purchase?

I am being charged $4k which I believe is slightly higher than usual but I know it's due to unprecedented demand as well.

Also if anyone has any advice on essentials I must buy before the puppy arrives at my house, that would be greatly appreciated or any other general advice.

Thanks!

4:1 is not bad if it was 12:1 I would be more concerned. Also hip problems can also be influenced by rearing practices. Dysplasia is not purely inherited or genetic.

I think 4 grand for a pup is outlandish!

• Like 2

I wouldn't be worried with 4:1 , I'd just make sure the nurture part of the nature and nurture was all up to snuff :thumbsup: (diet, exercise, jumping, desexing age etc) 

And I think $4k is fine for a well reared pup with both parents having had hip and elbow scores, health tests etc. I mean, it's not cheap but it isn't as expensive as the frenchies seem to be or anywhere near as much as some of the cross breeds are :eek:

• Like 2

Those scores are no worry at all.

At $4k, make sure you are getting what you want. Ask about other health factors.  Have genetic tests been done? Are the bloodlines clear for epilepsy and diabetes? There will probably be cancer deaths in the ancestry.  We're any at a young age?

Labs vary a lot in temperament.  Some are high drive, some couch potatoes. Ask what sort of temperament they aim for.  Make sure it agrees with what you want. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 4

Also for that much money, ask about after-purchase support :) is the breeder there to help answer your questions/take the dog back if the situation changes for the worse, give support if sudden illness strikes  when dog reaches adulthood .....

• Like 3