What to feed puppies

benitas minis

When my min pin had her last liter of pups I gave them 3 parts water to 1 part milk I heard way after the fact that it wasn’t good for them.  My question what do you give them to drink when moms is not feeding them as often and they can’t eat the puppy food as good 

I guess my starting point would be something like divetelact -  a specific milk replacement powder. I think it would depend on how old the pups are as to how and when I would wean them onto wet, meat and dry foods.

But not being a breeder, this is just my assumption of what I would do. 

• Like 1

you can get lactose free milk from the supermarket. All my pups were having this with raw mince from 3 or so weeks. A pink slushie. I also used up any proper formula I had to make the slushie. Depending on age they always had water available and their food was sloppy and as they got older their food became less sloppy.

• Like 1

how old are the puppies, and why isn't the bitch feeding them as often? 
if she is just weaning them ..give them raw mince , and/or a puppy milk replacer.Make according to directions.It's best to use the proper milk replacer made for puppies , so they get the best nourishment . 
if they are very young, maybe increase the bitch's food..feed a GOOD quality meat protein , and give her lots of lactose free milk to drink , so she can produce milk. 

• Like 1

Depends very much on their age. Before about three weeks I would use a puppy milk replacer, like Wambaroo, or the Leerburg formula, you can find Leerburg recipes online.

But if old enough I mix really finely smooshed up beef mince with goats milk, and also use the Royal Canin puppy mousse, they both usually go down a treat. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, juice said:

Begs the question, why are you breeding when you have no idea what you are doing . 

Trust  @juice  seeing the negative again!  

Didn't your mum teach you the motto -- If you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all -   :scold: 

I hope you cheer up soon & enjoy your life  :)   -- 

Most people have good intentions you know -- 

Try to see the positive in each situation --  you will feel happier for it  :kissbetter:  

They can go straight on to mushed up, watered down mince or soaked dry. Lots of the specialty puppy dry foods soak very easily into mush that the puppies can lap. 
I hand feed size appropriate beef mince meatballs from about 3 weeks - you’ll be surprised how well they’re able to cope with food at a young age 

• Like 2

this is a copy and paste from McDowell Herbals:

If you haven't started weaning the puppies then your bitch will still be producing milk.

Begin introducing the puppies to soft moist foods that are easily digested. Try minced meat, rolled oats porridge, rice, cooked veggies but definitely no dairy products.

In the early stages of weaning it is important to remember that the bitch's milk is still an important source of nutrients while the puppies' digestive and immune systems learn to handle new food. With a quick increase of the intake of food and decrease in suckling, puppies are normally weaned by 6 weeks.

It's interesting that dairy products are not recommended, perhaps mother's milk is still sufficient while introducing the mince and other ingredients.

48 minutes ago, Boronia said:

It's interesting that dairy products are not recommended, perhaps mother's milk is still sufficient while introducing the mince and other ingredients.

No they aren't because they will usually still be getting milk from Mum. But most people do still like to feed milk which is why lactose free dairy milk or goats milk is used.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rebanne said:

No they aren't because they will usually still be getting milk from Mum. But most people do still like to feed milk which is why lactose free dairy milk or goats milk is used.

yes...that's what I meant Rebanne, what I wrote wasn't clear, I blame that on the day on the mainland dodging runny-nosed idiots at the shops and coughing dirt-bags on the ferry home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, juice said:

Not feeling anything Pandi. You clearly have an axe to grind, your irrelevant so I don’t care .

@juice  Maybe if you did-- care-- about how other people feel,  you could give kinder comments  :thumbsup:

Let everyone see the nice & friendly side,  :)

3 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@juice  Maybe if you did-- care-- about how other people feel,  you could give kinder comments  :thumbsup:

Let everyone see the nice & friendly side,  :)

you made your point in your initial post P-G, just stop nagging...you sound like my mother,...always having to say the last word, this is a dog forum, not facebook.

How are your puppies getting on @benitas minis?

Edited by Boronia

47 minutes ago, Boronia said:

you made your point in your initial post P-G, just stop nagging...you sound like my mother,...always having to say the last word, this is a dog forum, not facebook.

How are your puppies getting on @benitas minis?

Will do,   

My husband & children  have never accused me of nagging,    so I don't think I do,    but thanks for telling me about your Mother.

I'm not on facebook,  don't know what that is about,   if you can complain to your heart's  content,  @juice  should have a ton of fun on facebook 

New forum members who receive harsh negative comments often don't come back,  if anyone has noticed!