need help to pick a labrador puppy

aylinhyatt

Hi, i'm a new pet owner planning to get a new labrador puppy this weekend. Can someone give me some guide to choose a good puppy. I visited a couple breeders this week and my wife basically like the fattest puppy because it's cute. And i did notice that some puppies has shorter nose and bigger paws than the others. Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

ok I'd be asking your breeder who they think would most suit you and your circumstances. Something I was told many many years ago was don't pick the shyest pup nor the boldest but I have also learnt since then that what appears to be the shyest has just had a good feed and wants to sleep and the boldest might have just had a good sleep and be ready for action! You want to get a vaccination certificate and microchipping change of ownership papers. Parents should have had any relevant health tests and you should be able to see the results. The pups should have been wormed 3/4 times and be 8 weeks old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's hard to choose the best puppy for yourself in a quick visit.  If you are working with an experienced breeder, have a yarn with them about your circumstances and what sort of dog you want. Then get them to recommend.  Labs range from very active to total couch potatoes, for one thing. The breeder will have watched the pups for several weeks and should have a good sense of how they are likely to develop. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 23/07/2020 at 3:51 PM, aylinhyatt said:

Hi, i'm a new pet owner planning to get a new labrador puppy this weekend. Can someone give me some guide to choose a good puppy. I visited a couple breeders this week and my wife basically like the fattest puppy because it's cute. And i did notice that some puppies has shorter nose and bigger paws than the others. Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

A good breeder will ask questions on what you want from a dog and show you which one would suit you.