CBD for arthritis: double blind study

https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2020/07/more-good-news-on-cbd-and-canine-arthritis/

Initial small study.  It seems to show CBD has a significant and fairly strong effect on arthritic pain in dogs. 

Another article on the same study 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200528160611.htm

Edited by sandgrubber
Typo
  • Like 3

What does it do for humans @juice - I haven't much thought about it.  There is a grower/processor near us, fully reg. and all that, and sells the oil at markets for about $20 a small bottle (forget the quantity, could be 10 mil or 200mil, wasn't really paying enough attention to the sales talk).  My arthritis is ramping up, is that what it's for, should I look out for it at market and try it?  Is it taken like cough medicine, or applied externally?

Tks, I'll ask them on Sunday for more info.  I was only thinking of growing some to line chook nest boxes to deter lice/mites - that's when I found all the legalities of procurement of seed and quantities and permits etc etc - it would cost a couple of thousand to set up a small plot and then it still wouldn't be an economic crop production-wise.  Do-able, just not worth doing.  A handful of agricultural lime does as well for the chooks, and costs about $10 to keep twenty pens pest-free for ten years or so.  But I hadn't thought of hemp as being handy to grow for any other purpose - and would need to put in a few acres of it to get some investment back.  Interesting though.

• Confused 1

The vet who writes the skeptvet.com blog is located in the Silicon Valley.  I asked him about whether a lot of his patients were using CBD and what was available in California .  Here's the reply:

OMG, it is everywhere! I would guess half my clients are giving it in some form, usually for something there is zero evidence to support.

The completely unregulated market, unfortunately, meant that almost none of the products have any quality control, so whether there is any CBD or how much, whether there is too much THC, and whether there are undisclosed contaminates is completely unknown. Lots of formulations that are likely worthless (e.g. cookies or water-based formulas when pharmacokinetics suggests only absorbed at effective levels in an oil base).

I usually recommend using a brand that provides independent laboratory testing of each batch with a certificate of analysis. One of the clinical trials for DJD used the ElleVet product, so there is at least some direct evidence for that one.

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

.... usually for something there is zero evidence to support. ....  almost none of the products have any quality control, ....

Yes I'd read that response - doesn't do much to create confidence in any of the claims.  The new apple cider vinegar (runs screaming).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...