Sprain in front foot what the Vet said & what I did

Sabe

I went to my usual Vet and met one of the Senior Vets.  Very helpful but I was 'shocked' at a quote of $540 to get x-rays from 3 angles to see what the issue is. 

We discussed the fact that my 4.5yr old Staffy Cross had hurts his foot/ankle which seems must have always been a weak area as he even limped at 3.5 months when I got him.

Anyway, the Vet further suggested back pay or whatever it is called.

Thing is I just do not think that the issue requires an x-ray.

My Boy is always running full tilt after the ball and he was (I think) over enthusiastic and came back limping - one time - recently.

Funny thing is that he had not been running very fast but maybe he went over on his foot?

Re Suggested XRay treatment cost - I am not able to afford that at all - which perhaps I would have to if he was in real trouble (bone cancer or whatever) - but I think it is a sprain.

So I have looked up on-line for an ankle type support such as a Human may wear and found:

https://australia.alpha-mobility.com/shop/balto-dog-carpal-instability-brace-bt-splint/

At $154 for a medium size it is a much more realistic place for me to start.

The vet also prescribed something to help with 'pain' as his ankle is swollen.

So hopefully this will help and with rest and gentle walks he'll recover.

IMG_4995 Bacchus.jpg

So, are you saying he's had an issue with that leg ever since you got him? And you aren't even considering that an x-ray might show you an underlying problem that he's had for 4+ years, and may possibly finally have a resolution so he never hurts it again?

Vetpay or Zip Pay are easier ways for you to be able to afford procedures that your best mate might need so he can have a better quality of life... please have a look at whichever one your vet subscribes to and consider it at least, OK?

$540 for 3 different angles is actually a pretty good price... and what if he has damaged something in there that needs professional help to fix properly? Swelling is usually indicative of something reasonably serious.

Please take the vet's advice on this one... your boy will thank you for it in the long run.

T.

• Like 4

On 7/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, Sabe said:

must have always been a weak area as he even limped at 3.5 months when I got him.

I suggest - Find out exactly what is happening, SAVE UP . and fix it so the next 10 years can be enjoyed without extra risk of limping/'sprains etc , or know what management you need to start to avoid him injuring it . perhaps, with a weak ankle, fast & furious games are a no-go  .... either way I would think it a good starting point instead of almost $200 on a brace which may not work /may exacerbate the injury if not fitted correctly, or not suited to the type of injury  , then perhaps more vet fees another time .... meanwhile you have a dog who limps on that foot . 
and I'm not sure why you put  PAIN in inverted commas  ;) it is real - it hurts, and your boy can feel it , sure enough . Rest him as much as possible , and I hope he feels much better soon ! 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3