Fertility issue on a young dog

BoldNFearless

Dog in 14 months old, went to collect him yesterday for an AI and he gave nothing .... got about 1-2mls of clear liquid but took a lot to get that from him (he was collected twice in an attempt to get something) used a teaser bitch that was spot on ready. 

1. as we walked into the room he stopped halfway and froze so had to be dragged into the room

2. the nurse started to attempt a collection within 30 seconds so he was still tense

ive done some reading and a seen a dog can withhold an ejaculation, especially if not happy with the situation? 

far as i know there is no infertility in the line 

any hopes or ideas to try and boost his fertility ? 

im thinking to try some male fertility tablets from the vet, and or Vitamin E and Zinc tablets (probably buy these anyways) but add either conceive well men or menevit? 

hes the best dog ive ever bred and there has already been huge interest in him as as stud dog and feeling so disappointing rigtht now :( 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JRG said:

Can you let him try a natural mating to get the idea?  An experienced bitch will show him how if he is reluctant!

if there is huge interest in him then someone might be willing to help out, maybe for a reduced stud fee

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JRG said:

Can you let him try a natural mating to get the idea?  An experienced bitch will show him how if he is reluctant!

he was going over a maiden but no matings never happened and shes gone off heat (this was in the bitches owners care not mine) but the issue is the collection showed Zero sperm

9 hours ago, Rebanne said:

if there is huge interest in him then someone might be willing to help out, maybe for a reduced stud fee

this is his maiden mating with a friends bitch and the service was free ... but a mating never happened with both bieng maidens and shes now been missed .... my issue is about the dog having zero sperm at the collection and wondering cos he was very tense being his first time if the issue was the or hes infact infertile and if there is anything i can do to boost a sperm count 

Often dogs first attempt is poor but if it was my dog i would eliminate Thyroid issues .
Finding a collector that to be blunt is good at wanking the dog on is a blessing ,we have a vet here who is just awesome at that .

I would contact Noahs Crossing vets in SA regarding tablets to potentially help boosting semen

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Often dogs first attempt is poor but if it was my dog i would eliminate Thyroid issues .
Finding a collector that to be blunt is good at wanking the dog on is a blessing ,we have a vet here who is just awesome at that .

I would contact Noahs Crossing vets in SA regarding tablets to potentially help boosting semen

yeh it was his first ever "sexual" experience other then humping others. and he was tense when they started and he didnt even hump when he was being collected.. he wasnt into it at all ... im really hoping thats all it was but the fact there was zero sperm is concerning. 

yes ive contacted them about thier semen booster and its quite costly. but definitely an option 

1 hour ago, BoldNFearless said:

yeh it was his first ever "sexual" experience other then humping others. and he was tense when they started and he didnt even hump when he was being collected.. he wasnt into it at all ... im really hoping thats all it was but the fact there was zero sperm is concerning. 

yes ive contacted them about thier semen booster and its quite costly. but definitely an option 

We have used the booster and not costly if you want the best chance for sperm.

As for infertility in a line no one can truly say when only an odd animal is used for breeding .

On 30/07/2020 at 8:26 PM, Dogsfevr said:

We have used the booster and not costly if you want the best chance for sperm.

As for infertility in a line no one can truly say when only an odd animal is used for breeding .

yeh i did the math and its actually cheap LOL i worked out the cost on buying the same vitamins etc as whats in it and its 10x more expensive 

the line of his sire is highly used around the world and ive never heard of any issues regarding the stud dogs used from the same lines. 
same really of the dams line. but yeh anything can happen im just very surprised a youn healthy dog is infertile and this particular dog of mine i have built up to for years .... just so dissapinting and hoping that it was just the situation and he just didnt ejaculate he wasnt in a good state of mind at the time .. was a bit scared n nervous with everything that was going on.... 

got him home ysterday and he wanted to mate his mother so took opportunity and collected him... in 20 secs i got more fluid then they did with 2 tries at the vet and it was cloudy ... so looking ok .. started him on menevit too for now 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well i got some news today ....  the said young dog who we couldnt get a collection from is going to be a father ... the bitch he was supposed to mate at the time we did the first colections has tested pregnant today by ultrasound .. 2 puppies were seen. so hes got a sneaky tie or slip in. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BoldNFearless said:

The owners do not own a male and are a very close friend of mine

I don’t think this is important.  Things happen in the best regulated places!  Surely you want to know for sure that your boy is the father - particularly since you have aspirations of a stud career. for him.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...