Pup training

DanielAdam1

hi all,I have just got a 12week staghound pup.My issue is her sleeping in a separate room to where I sleep and I do not want to use a dog crate!Shes brilliant in all other areas apart from been left on her own any help would be greatly appreciated 

It is REALLY hard for babies to have to sleep alone ....pups are designed to still be with their families /to stick close to their parent/littermates .
Until she is completely housetrained and able to sleep happily thru the night, being near you  in a crate makes sense, so you  can get up in the night when needed :) Or are you teaching her to toilet on pads inside? 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, persephone said:

It is REALLY hard for babies to have to sleep alone ....pups are designed to still be with their families /to stick close to their parent/littermates .
Until she is completely housetrained and able to sleep happily thru the night, being near you  in a crate makes sense, so you  can get up in the night when needed :) Or are you teaching her to toilet on pads inside? 

Cool,I knew a forum was a good idea.She is already 90% house trained and can go 5hours inbetween toilet brakes at night so shes doing brilliant.myself and the wife just don't like the idea of crates(cages)shes good sleeping on her bed she just like me nxt to her,but at only 12weeks maybe I'm just asking abit to much from her

• Like 1

you don't have to use a crate but I'd be letting her sleep in the bedroom with you on her own bed. :) Then you can hear if she gets restless and take her out to the toilet. And if it helps think of a crate as just keeping her in one area to limit pee and poop being spread around. Doesn't have to be forever. Long before crates I used to use barriers to keep pup in one area at night.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DanielAdam1 said:

Cool,I knew a forum was a good idea.She is already 90% house trained and can go 5hours inbetween toilet brakes at night so shes doing brilliant.myself and the wife just don't like the idea of crates(cages)shes good sleeping on her bed she just like me nxt to her,but at only 12weeks maybe I'm just asking abit to much from her

Crates are more than just cages .
If your dog needs to spend a day at the vet for surgery there crated,if your dog breaks a leg or does a cruciate or needs rest Crates are a great tool..
If you suddenly need to fly your dog there crated & above all if ever an emergency crates keep the dog safe .
The crate is just like the 4 walls off the house but above all too a dog those 4 walls offer comfort .

All my dogs are crate trained & why .There showdogs,they fly,they travel in the car in the crate ,we live in a high fire risk area so they can be crated safely if requiring evacuation or limiting where they are .When i travel to shows some motels require a dog to be crated in the room but above all they just luv there crate for quiet time jus like we will sit on our fav chair or spot .
If work men or visitors come they can safely be housed away (visitors more based on the person being an issue ).

This doesnt mean the crate has to be used every day off its life but a dog that can be happy in one makes its easier for them .
Sighthounds love a community & for many there crate makes up for the lack off that .
Keep in mind that sep room of 4 walls is a big lonely world for a pup in the dark ,everyone just vanishes .
So your options are limited .You stick to the routine & take the good with the bad,as mentioned move pup into your room using its bed only or using a crate or just a puppy pen to make the area off space smaller & less overwhelming .
The best way to answer is what is the long term sleeping plan though ??

• Like 4

CRATE TRAINING (as opposed to shoving a dog in a cage) is a process of making the proper sized(quite large) crate a HAVEN for a pup/dog :)
In the crate is a comfy bed, the best chew toys ..the yummiest treats, and the ability to be near the humans still , whilst having very distinct boundaries!
Crates can also be covered in cool weather, can be a 'den' which dogs have an instinctual love for ....they can be somewhere to put a pup if there are annoying toddlers or other dogs , or if you're having a party, and still want pup to feel part of the evening :)
While I have actually never used a crate for my dogs ..preferring a light chain ..I have used crate training for pet pigs, goats and lambs..all of which took to it really well , and none of which ever saw it as a punishment - it was bedtime/treat time/safety time/chill time . 
Were I younger,in different circumstances and starting with a pup..I would crate train , no problems .  :) 
Well Done on asking questions/having a discussion :)

• Like 2

Yes you can get crates that big but they can be heavy and cumbersome.  You might want to consider a folding pen as a substitute. They don’t have a built in floor so it depends if you need one. C Crates do great ‘secura pens’ but they might be a bit pricey, you will find other versions on line. 

• Like 1

I use a 120cm  crate for my adult Greyhounds. The male is 75 cms at the shoulders and 38 kilos. The X pen I use is approx 120cm square and 90cm high and holds my 2 bitches. You might need taller as staghounds are often deerhound crosses and deerhounds are taller then my greys. Something like this might be suitable 120cm high and you could configure it into a shape that suits but some of them are quite flimsy and you would need a roof, which can be made out of shade cloth. There are heavier duty ones which of course cost more.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well when we got our pup (who is crate trained) we kept her in our room for a few weeks to allow her to settle in. Then we slowly moved her into another room (couple days every week or a few hours each night). It also really helped because our other two dogs were with all the time so she didn’t feel alone