Stud dog

opinions needed.

I recently let my border collie service another border collie.

The arrangement was service fee of the price of 1 puppy. Payment to be made once puppies go to new homes. (Learnt my lesson, in future payment on service)

The service went great, they tied several times over 3 days. 

Unfortunately the bitch didn't conceive. I have offered another service once the bitch comes back into season again free of charge but I require payment for the service which was completed. The person does not wish to have her dog serviced again but refuses to pay as no puppies were conceived.

I realise my mistake and will never do again but id like opinions on whether you think she should pay for the service received.

Ps. This was the 2nd time our dogs have joined. First successful with 9 puppies and payment. 

Tricky. You will get many different answers. I wouldn't be comfortable charging for a missed service. If you kept the bitch at your place then it would be reasonable to expect some payment for that. Also it takes two to tango. When was your stud dog last checked for fertility? It could be a problem with either dog, both dogs or no problems - it just didn't happen this time.

• Like 5

We pay irrespective .

Some  charge a service fee which often works well in the what if’s but the presumption it’s the males fault doesn’t cut it ,her dropping 3ggs is just as important.

Obviously she could have reabsorded them so technically conceived..

The problem is most blame the dog for no pups .

Was she prog tested?.
But at the end of the day everything needs to be clearly written out about fee, reservice,what you consider a litter 

Edited by Dogsfevr

Usually people sort out before the mating what the arrangement is and are clear about what is charged in the event no pups result, what if there is only one pup etc. There is no standard rule, but if the girl stays over there might be a service fee or a boarding charge that applies regardless of success. 

• Like 1

I have only ever asked for payment on proven conception. even if she does conceive and loses the pups then offer a free return . ditto for a small litter of one or two. but I know thats not standard procedure..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, asal said:

I have only ever asked for payment on proven conception. even if she does conceive and loses the pups then offer a free return . ditto for a small litter of one or two. but I know thats not standard procedure..

I thought that was standard procedure.  I don't remember using a dog or chilled semen on any other terms. 

P. S. A failed mating costs the bitch's owner a lot more than it costs the dog's owner.  Charging when there are no pups seems mean spirited to me. 

Edited by sandgrubber
Further thoughts
  • Like 2