Behaviourist on Gold Coast

NikkiandKane

Hi everyone, 

my daughter is doing an amazing dog with her 17 week old pup but is having a few issues neither of us are sure how to deal with. She has decided that she will deal with it sooner rather than later and wants to see a behaviourist or suitable positive trainer to help.

For context the issues are barking at strangers and sometimes strange dogs, even at a big distance. He is very submissive and fine with my dog but is a little fearful around new people and dogs and it seems to be escalating. Also he is super clingy to my daughter, he loves me but if she leaves him with me he gets very upset and can’t seem to focus on anything else.

So if anyone Knows of a behaviourist on the Gold Coast the can recommend? Also does anyone know how much she can expect to pay? She does have pet insurance but I don’t think this would be covered.

thanks 

A couple of options.

Lia at Canine Journeys - force free trainer

Dr Nela Graham at Calm Companions - Behaviour Vet and also has a trainer on her team.

Have a chat with both to see what pup’s needs are at this point and options.

Veterinary behaviour is sometimes covered. Our policy specifically excludes it which I think is appalling. Get with the times!

On 13/08/2020 at 6:54 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

A couple of options.

Lia at Canine Journeys - force free trainer

Dr Nela Graham at Calm Companions - Behaviour Vet and also has a trainer on her team.

Have a chat with both to see what pup’s needs are at this point and options.

Veterinary behaviour is sometimes covered. Our policy specifically excludes it which I think is appalling. Get with the times!

Thanks, I sent both of these to Maddy. She said that her pet insurance covers only accidental injury for the first six months, and she wants to deal with this early on, so while behavioural vet is not excluded it won’t be covered for some time yet.

she has made an enquiry with calm companions and we will see how she goes :)

I dealt with Jane Harper with Dogs On track. She is on the Sunshine Coast but travels. She provides ongoing assistance too and she checked in with us every 6 months to a year to see how things were going. The advice was very easy to implement and worked. From memory it was about $250 (about 4 or 5 years ago) including her travel time but to be honest that was money well spent given vet bills we had when our dogs behaviours went off the rails and caused injuries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1