Great home available for girl poodle

westiemum

Hi All,

My delightful neighbours, a retired couple have just lost their beautiful but elderly toy poodle.  So there is a vacancy for a girl adult toy or miniature poodle at a beaut home in the Adelaide Hills.  Prefer to take a poodle who needs a home. Have noticed that the Poodle rescue in Queensland is closed during the pandemic.

Apart from gender and toy or miniature they aren't fussed.  References available.  Happy to pay rescue fee and transport.

No rush, let me know if anyone knows of a poodle who needs a good home.

Thanks,

Westiemum.

• Like 1

Hi Westiemum :)
Its been very hard to find small dogs this year in SA. Ive been casually looking for months now on pet rescue since losing Miah in April
May i suggest that your neighbours also contact some breeders of toy/miniature poodles to see if they have any retired girls. There will be a list of some on DOL. Not all are actively advertising, so you never know,
All the best to them :) 

Ps Sorry for their loss, its just so devastating :( 

Edited by julesluvscavs

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just an update on the poodle search which just got a bit more difficult as I'm now trying to convince my elderly neighbour to wait for a while until this price madness abates - at least a little - and hopefully toy poodles become a little easier to source.  

While its simply crazy at the moment, I think I'm seeing some slowing down and 'bloating' of the market?  There are just soooo many crossbreed litters and puppies around at the moment its unbelievable.  And the sad thing is I'm seeing so many obvious crossbreeds being advertised as purebreds:  

Couldn't believe this when I saw it tonight - and sadly people will get sucked in by it:

1754741528_ScreenShot2020-11-23at9_23_01pm.thumb.png.2132ae4d8667c09be740af8c46e40f2d.png

Sigh... it really is time for a pure-bred fight back... 

• Like 2

This type of ad should be reported.  I believe it is illegal to sell a dog without a microchip number and a breeder (resource) number in Victoria,  the person advertising the dog AND the person who owns the site where it is advertised can be fined.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, JRG said:

This type of ad should be reported.  I believe it is illegal to sell a dog without a microchip number and a breeder (resource) number in Victoria,  the person advertising the dog AND the person who owns the site where it is advertised can be fined.

for sure it needs reporting, breaking multiple laws as Jem said

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Unfortunately a lot of people don't know what a purebred is.  Conversation with my neighbour:

Me:  What breed is your new puppy

Neighbour:  Poodle x Pomeranian but I think it's a crossbreed as it's microchip papers says Poodle x 

Oh wow.  That is unbelievable.  Hope neighbour hasn’t bred humans.  

• Sad 1

I recently had a similar experience, it does seem there are a lot of people who have no idea what a pure bred dog even is.

A woman telling me her pup was a 'pure breed rotty' with a huge white  chest and white feet with a a very short staffy coat. 

Me; ' So why the short coat and white?' 

Lady; Oh i was told it was a throw back to the grandfather who was half Staffy".

But its not a fault of the people, its a fault in the organisation and its qualification for membership identity.

Education is not seen as a responsibility of membership, Its seen as a qualification of membership.

Education is viewed as a responsibility to membership.  Of the Pedigree breeders identity. 

Yet if that P B identity insists education beyond its own membership is not their responsibility, then it can only be left  to other interests.

Last time I looked, I noticed the A.N.K.C web site had taken out the statement that cross breeds were not recognised by that body.

A start. But no where near enough to combat the 150 years  plus that message has had  had to 'fix' the idea. 

Refusing recognition of dogs outside of a pedigree registry body enforced a perspective on that body. Not  false, but incomplete.

Its going to take a lot more than the passive action of removing that statement to turn around what is happening.

A process of identity selection was begun by enforcing a perspective. Thats not near  enough to stop it at this late stage of its evolution.

• Like 1

also come vaccinated, microchipped & Vet checked & pups will come with relevant veterinary cards with details of microchipping & vaccinations etc.

These gorgeous little puppies will ready to go to their forever homes on 9/12

Ideally suited to homes where they can be inside & treated as part of the family & not just left in a backyard outside. They will only be offered to the very best loving & caring forever homes where they can be given plenty of cuddles & affection & in return they will given plenty of unconditional love & happiness for many years to come.
I also offer a Lifetime Rehoming Policy & ongoing support & advice if needed

7 hours ago, JRG said:

I believe it is illegal to sell a dog without a microchip number

• Like 1

Unfortunately the word 'purebred' has a different meaning across different organisations/animals.   Eg: many horse breed associations consider an animal to be purebred if the 'unknown/outcross' is at least 3 generations back.  So even an 'educated' animal person may not find the 'his grandfather was half staffy' as a red flag.

And a pedigree is just a document of lineage back X generations.  I could create a pedigree for the mutt down the road - Sire was Fluffy (by Oscar out of Hairy) and Dam was Bump (by Henry out of Speed).  Voila - if the detail was correct, I can honestly sell the mutt as 'pedigreed', and if registered with the council, it is 'registered and pedigreed'.

I would hate to be a newbee now - trying to navigate 'registered' 'ethical' 'purebred' would be a nightmare.  Especially with so many 'experts' who really don't know there butt from their elbow, but happily sprout random rubbish.  Councils, media, vets etc list cross breds as 'breeds' - rarely is it a poodle X it is a .....odle or sum such rubbish.

My little cross bred is just that - no idea what is behind him (mum looked poodleish (very 'ish)) - he was supposed to be a poodle x maltese - the fact he is white with big dark grey patches must be from 'his grandfather who was half something' :laugh:.  But the council, microchip and old vet all wanted to list him as a 'breed' rather than a cross.  When I do have to list a breed as an identifier (council etc) then I call him a maltese cross - cos that is what he looks like

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BDJ said:

Unfortunately the word 'purebred' has a different meaning across different organisations/animals.   Eg: many horse breed associations consider an animal to be purebred if the 'unknown/outcross' is at least 3 generations back.  So even an 'educated' animal person may not find the 'his grandfather was half staffy' as a red flag.

And a pedigree is just a document of lineage back X generations.  I could create a pedigree for the mutt down the road - Sire was Fluffy (by Oscar out of Hairy) and Dam was Bump (by Henry out of Speed).  Voila - if the detail was correct, I can honestly sell the mutt as 'pedigreed', and if registered with the council, it is 'registered and pedigreed'.

I would hate to be a newbee now - trying to navigate 'registered' 'ethical' 'purebred' would be a nightmare.  Especially with so many 'experts' who really don't know there butt from their elbow, but happily sprout random rubbish.  Councils, media, vets etc list cross breds as 'breeds' - rarely is it a poodle X it is a .....odle or sum such rubbish.

My little cross bred is just that - no idea what is behind him (mum looked poodleish (very 'ish)) - he was supposed to be a poodle x maltese - the fact he is white with big dark grey patches must be from 'his grandfather who was half something' :laugh:.  But the council, microchip and old vet all wanted to list him as a 'breed' rather than a cross.  When I do have to list a breed as an identifier (council etc) then I call him a maltese cross - cos that is what he looks like

Yes. I can understand  breed  being open to interpretation, and that a Pedigree is just known parentage.

But there is really only one meaning for 'pure'. 

Purity just doesn't apply for recognition as a breed out side of ANKC and other closed registries. 

And I would not like to see its use encouraged when its a dead end concept biologically, where diversity = responsibility.

Purity is the antithesis of diversity.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2020 at 7:19 AM, JRG said:

Where should it be reported to JRG?  (I'm in SA).  If someone can help out with some links I'll report. :)

17 hours ago, westiemum said:

Where should it be reported to JRG?  (I'm in SA).  If someone can help out with some links I'll report. :)

17 hours ago, westiemum said:

On the agriculture.vic.gov.au site  in the Pet Exchange Register section there is a para that gives a special button to “Report an Advertising concern”

hope that gets you there!   Sorry I can’t seem to get the link to work hence the long hand description!

On 26/11/2020 at 8:01 AM, JRG said:

On the agriculture.vic.gov.au site  in the Pet Exchange Register section there is a para that gives a special button to “Report an Advertising concern”

hope that gets you there!   Sorry I can’t seem to get the link to work hence the long hand description!

Thanks very much JRG - will get to it tomorrow.

There's a beautiful 3 year old toy poodle that has popped up on DOL today.  With my neighbours permission, I have whipped off a response even though we aren't in Victoria, as my neighbours are genuinely such a good home.  So all fingers and paws are crossed here and hope they will consider my neighbours. 

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  The Victorian poodle didn't come off - which is a shame as it looked like an excellent match - but as expected the breeder had no trouble finding a Victorian buyer.

I think I've convinced my neighbour to wait until more dogs come onto the re-home market; when more people return to work and the novelty of their impulse buy wears off when they realise managing pups and full-time work is much harder than they imagined.  Fingers crossed the right dog for my neighbours our will come along when the time is right.

Thanks for your help everyone - appreciated. :)

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Lady Flying Furball said:

Approaching breeders to see if they have retiring adult dogs for a pet home is really a great idea. That is how I got Tonka my papillon and Penny my ragdoll....both were 3 years old and are still going strong into old age!

That's how I got my black and tan girl.  The breeder was going to keep her as she has a beautiful, soft temperament but when she found out what a good life she would have with me, she changed her mind.  Lucky me!

• Like 3