Test Results : please help on ESS color genetics

sandgrubber

Yoli is an English springer spaniel.  Her genetic results came back today from Orivet.  All clear on the health related genes. Could someone please help interpret the color stuff or direct me to a simple explanation.  I'm used to Labradors... where it's mostly E and B locus with occasional with occasional K locus (most Labs are KK).

P. S. Yoli is black and white.  Note, I don't really care. I prefer black and white, but it's a weak preference. Am I correct in thinking the E/E means she can only throw black and white pups? 

AUTOSOMAL HEREDITARY RECESSIVE NEPHROPATHY NEGATIVE / CLEAR [NO VARIANT DETECTED]
FUCOSIDOSIS (ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL TYPE) NEGATIVE / CLEAR [NO VARIANT DETECTED]
PHOSPHOFRUCTOKINASE DEFICIENCY (SPANIEL TYPE) NEGATIVE / CLEAR [NO VARIANT DETECTED]
E LOCUS - (CREAM/RED/YELLOW) E/E - DOMINANT BLACK DOES NOT CARRY YELLOW/RED/WHITE
BROWN (345DELPRO) DELETION Bd/bd - CARRIER OF BROWN/CHOCOLATE/LIVER [DELETION]
BROWN (GLNT331STOP) STOP CODON Bs/Bs - DOES NOT CARRY BROWN or CHOCOLATE [STOP CODON]
BROWN (SER41CYS) INSERTION CODON Bc/bc - CARRIER OF BROWN/LIVER/CHOCOLATE [INSERTION]
K LOCUS (DOMINANT BLACK) K/K - DOMINANT BLACK - SOLID [WILL NOT BE BRINDLED or EXPRESS AGOUTI]
BLACK HAIR FOLLICULAR DYSPLASIA NEGATIVE - NOT SHOWING THE PHENOTYPE
A LOCUS (FAWN/SABLE;TRI/TAN POINTS) at/at - TAN POINTS/BLACK & TAN or TRICOLOUR MAY BE BRINDLED [SEE K LOCUS]
CONE-ROD DYSTROPHY I - PRA (CORD I) NEGATIVE / CLEAR [NO VARIANT DETECTED]
HEREDITARY NEPHROPATHY NEGATIVE / CLEAR [NO VARIANT DETECTED]
D (DILUTE) LOCUS D/D - NO COPY OF MLPH-D ALLELE (DILUTE) - PIGMENT IS NORMAL
Edited by sandgrubber

I will have a go, although my breed is different in not having brown/liver and her liver results are interesting.

As I read it she can produce both liver and black. No pups will be black and tan or liver and tan. The loci of most interest in ESS seem to be B/b to determine if they are black or liver and K/ky as to whether they can show tan markings, but ky seems unusual. 

EE means she has no copies of recessive yellow e. ee is what makes yellow labs yellow as it prevents the expression of eumelanin but it looks like ESS don’t generally have e. With EE the B, K and A loci determine how she looks (plus the genes controlling white).

KK means she is dominant black. That means she can’t express her black and tan ( atat ) as K prevents expression of the agouti gene pair.  ESS might be fixed for atat, but they can only show it if they are kyky. 

She carries liver/brown, which turns black to liver. Actually she carries one copy of two different mutations for liver, bc and bd, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if she were liver as bcbd should be. But from what I have read bc and bd can be inherited together and have come from one parent and B from the other due to the nature of the mutations so you can actually be B/bcbd. ( I don’t know much about how bc & bd interact as my breed is all BB so I haven’t paid that much attention.  The discovery that there is more than one mutation causing liver is reasonably recent)

So bred to a liver (KK or Kky bb) or a black carrying liver (KK or Kky Bb) you’d statistically expect some puppies to be liver and some black. I don’t think it matters whether the b is bc or bd.

Bred to a Black and Tan (kyky atat BB or Bb) or a liver and tan  (kyky atat bb) the pups wouldn’t show the tan pattern (as they would all be Kky) but those pups would be able to produce it depending on their mate. 

Edited to add: this isn’t breed specific but it is a great site for colour genetics http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/

Edited by Diva
  • Thanks 2