HELP! NEED HELP TO DETERMINE DOG'S AGE

Aja

Hi All! It is very hard to buy a dog where I live, so I posted an ad on Gumtree and someone contacted me from another state and offered to sell his dog. He said his dog is 2 year old (maltese x pomeranian), and sent me the attached photos (initially he wouldn't send the close up photo of the face). After we arranged a pick up, he said he couldn't find his dog's registration papers.. So he said he would go to the vet, and apparently the vet would have some copy of some record.. ? I showed the photos to my  couple of my friends and they said the dog looks older than 2 year old, and also looks neglected.  The owner also said he's a "placid" dog, so I am not sure if this could  be a sign of older age too? Please, any opinion and advice would be appreciated!  The dog is not cheap,  and I cannot afford to buy an older dog. And it needs to be a good companion for my active kids for many years to come.  Thank you :) 

IMG-142a43e931a5e01ea7853ed94d6b305a-V.jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

Edit - sorry I assumed you already had the dog ...

Is there a microchip? The date of implantation is recored on the register and could at least give you an idea of age if the dog was chipped a while ago. If the old owner has vanished you'll need a detailed stat dec to submit to your council in order to have your name put on the chip. 
Unfortunately different states have different registers. Where did doggy come from?

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 2

I was thinking scam too.   You send the money and no dog.   And getting a dog from one state to another is not at all easy these days, and definitely not  cheap.   

Some clever techy person will know, but I think you can check whether a photo has been 'stolen' from someone else .. is it through putting the photo into a google search .. it would definitely be worth doing that to see if the names match.

The other good way to find out if a photo has been stolen is to use a reverse image search and a bit of detective work. There are a few different reverse image sites out there. Google’s is the most well known, but Bing also has a good one. TinEye is interesting, and their matching technology is better than most.

ETA   Here's a 'how to" ....  

How to Check if a Photo is Stolen

www.howtogeek.com/362946/how-to-check-if-a-photo-is-stolen/

Edited by Tassie

Personally I would pass on a dog you can’t meet and see around children before you bring it into your home with your children. Wait and find a dog you can at least meet in person before handing over any money 

• Like 4

Thank you all for your replies. 

27 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Oops, I assumed they already had the dog :laugh:

Yes, smells fishy. 

I don't have the dog yet, but he spoke with me on the phone and gave his full name and I found him on FB (I could see friends, relatives and posts etc so it looked genuine) and later I messaged him on Messenger and he replied. The dog in located in country NSW 4 hours drive from we we live, so he suggested we meet half way in a country town McDonalds... But I am suspicious that he lost the registration record of the dog. And also insisted that I pay $50 deposit as otherwise he would sell it to someone else, so I did..  The dog is microchipped apparently, should I ask him to give me the microchip number? And what do I do then, where can I check the implantation date (or can it only be done by the owner)? 

I was also told toy breeds get really bad dental disease once they get older,  I guess I won't be able to check his teeth as the dog won't let me?  

P.S. There is absolutely no dogs in shelters here, only couple of big ones and we can't really have a big dog due to our circumstances.  Thank you all for replying! 

That is so difficult Aja, to take someone on trust with so much at stake. I'd be inclined to wave goodbye to the deposit, it's a lot to lose I know.  But this is also financially risky taking on a dog with no 'vet inspection' or background information, it sounds shifty at best.  I would love to be wrong and the little dog is a perfect fit for you, but so many warning bells.   

• Like 3

Im hearing of others getting caught up in similar situations atm, they seem desperate to get a Maltese or Maltese X's .. and because small dogs especially are very hard to get atm (even from rescue places) they are being sucked in with online scams and dodgy ads.. and they have all been from interstate.. Probably not the same as the one you are posting about (as its been puppies they are wanting) but please becareful! Hope yours is legit! 

Edited by julesluvscavs

If you get the microchip number, you can ask your vet to check its age, as vets can access the chip information. including the name and address and phone number of the owners............as for having lost the paperwork no problem there, get a change of ownership form from your local council and when you meet them all they have to do is sign it as their signature and the chip number is all thats needed to transfer it

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

If it’s NSW I’m pretty sure the law is now that they have to list the microchip number on the ad. Powerlegs may know. 

This is true :) but usually it's just random numbers. And gumtree can't check so they're happy with that.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

If it’s NSW I’m pretty sure the law is now that they have to list the microchip number on the ad. Powerlegs may know. 

The dog wasn’t advertised.  Aja advertised for a dog.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aja said:

Thank you all for your replies. 

I don't have the dog yet, but he spoke with me on the phone and gave his full name and I found him on FB (I could see friends, relatives and posts etc so it looked genuine) and later I messaged him on Messenger and he replied. The dog in located in country NSW 4 hours drive from we we live, so he suggested we meet half way in a country town McDonalds... But I am suspicious that he lost the registration record of the dog. And also insisted that I pay $50 deposit as otherwise he would sell it to someone else, so I did..  The dog is microchipped apparently, should I ask him to give me the microchip number? And what do I do then, where can I check the implantation date (or can it only be done by the owner)? 

I was also told toy breeds get really bad dental disease once they get older,  I guess I won't be able to check his teeth as the dog won't let me?  

P.S. There is absolutely no dogs in shelters here, only couple of big ones and we can't really have a big dog due to our circumstances.  Thank you all for replying! 

It's possible the dog isn't chipped at all and hasn't seen a vet because it's so easy for him to go to his vet and get the info. Literally just a phonecall. Is he/she desexed or vaccinated? 

Yes you can ask, and he's not supposed to rehome a dog without one but it sounds like he's getting twitchy about you asking questions so that's a BIG red flag. So is the ultimatum of you paying $50 or he'll sell elsewhere. :eek: 

Yes, absolutely, toy breeds require regular dentals. Most of our rescues are over 7 at least and every single one of those has needed a thorough dental. If the dog is 'placid' you should be able to look at it's teeth, if not I'd be careful. Mainly because a) sore mouth and b) you're planning on adding dog + kids with a completely untested animal. 

I'm so sorry, I understand the kids will be disappointed but this is sounding more and more like you're better off starting your search again. :( 

• Like 6

Lots of good advice.   If you do decide to go and meet him, please make sure you have another adult with you .. just for safety's sake, and also, he's less likely to try to bully. you..  And yes .. I'm a worry wort.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, persephone said:

@Aja
Did you ask why they are selling a dog that is only 2 years old an so cute looking ?  LISTEN CAREFULLY to the replies !!    have you seen any videos of it walking on lead or anything ? 

He told me he has another dog (chow chow) that bullies the little pomeranian. I just googled seller's phone number, and found a post on FB by the Dog Rescue of the town he lives in. In the post Dog Rescue provides his (Seller's) mobile number and name to call for private adoption of a dog (dated 2015). 

Edited by Aja
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1