Germany: New Dog Laws

sandgrubber

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-dogs-must-be-walked-twice-a-day-under-new-rule/a-54627195

The German agriculture minister has announced she will introduce a controversial new law that will require dog owners to walk their canine friends at least twice a day, for a total of at least one hour.

The rules would also forbid owners from tying up dogs for long periods of time or leaving them alone all day. Around one in five German homes has a dog; over 9 million dogs are kept as pets in the country.

"Pets are not cuddly toys — and their needs have to be considered," Agriculture Minister Julia Klöckner said Monday. She said her ministry was acting in accordance with "new scientific research about dogs' needs."

If the article is accurate - another example of 'one rule to fit everything' will be a fail.   The exercise requirement is unnecessary, unrealistic and will rob many dogs and humans of wonderful relationships.

My SWF has never been a 'walker'.  Even as a young dog he didn't enjoy long walks.  Around the block, to a park for a potter and down the beach - loves them all (both as a young dog and now he is older).  'going for a walk' - nope - he does it, but it clearly doesn't float his boat.  

My brother has a disability which makes walking difficult.  He has a whippet which leads the life of Riley.  Is with him constantly, sleeps on the bed and has toys and games and goes to a park regularly (certainly not daily).  Sometimes I take him for a walk, but it is semi-regular at best.   The dog is also not a 'walker' - a couple of suburban blocks has him happy to come home.  He enjoys going out, but I would challenge anyone who said he was 'deprived' or ill treated.

Exercise needs to meet the needs of the dog - and walking is only one form.   I applaud the idea of making sure animals have full and rich lives - but no-one would expect all humans to have the same desires and capability when it comes to exercise and lifestyle - so why would dogs all have 'cookie cutter' needs?

• Like 1

Apparently this all is a press error.  The law merely requires a TOTAL of one hour a day outside of a KENNEL, i.e. you cannot lock a dog up 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  It also places some restrictions on breeders (eg, no more than 3 litters at a time) and strengthens Germany's existing laws against 'torture breeding '. 

• Like 1