Miniature poodle Vs Miniature schnauzer

Klm20

Hi all,

i was hoping someone could help me to decide on which is a better fit for me and my family. 

Ive read so much about both breeds and they seem to be very equal in all aspects. 

We are a family of 3, my son is almost 4 years old. 

He is very active and we are almost always outdoors. 

I’m a stay at home mum so the dog will not be on it’s own very much.

We frequent parks and go for daily walks.

Which breed and sex has a better temperament with young children? 

I’m hoping that which ever breed I choose my son and dog will be close and grow up together. 

Any information or feedback (good or bad) is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

K

When it comes to dogs and kids no breed is better a child off that age is alll about parental common sense and a child actually being ready for a dog .

We breed one of your listed breeds and we will sell to homes with young kids but we have also said no to many more due to the adults presuming as the breed is good that’s all the effort they need .

We can sell a well adjusted puppy but what you do after that makes or breaks how the pup will build a relationship with a toddler .

Poodles can be more off a one person dog compared to Minis,Minis need more grooming than a Poodle .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would stick with the schnauzer providing your child is gentle, they are more tolerant and more likely to be family orientated.

We owned and rescued poodles for 20 years, the main reason we no longer have them is they often aren’t great with younger kids and tend to attach to one person, there are of course exceptions but overall I wouldn’t recommend one in your situation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Thanks for your reply.

I totally agree with you that it will ultimately come down to my parental guidance and teaching him how to handle and interact with a dog to help create a bond and trust between them.

I’m prepared to be teaching my toddler first and foremost. 

I was just hoping there would be something that stood out in one breed over the other that could help me make a decision between the 2. 

1 hour ago, Klm20 said:

Thanks for your reply.

I totally agree with you that it will ultimately come down to my parental guidance and teaching him how to handle and interact with a dog to help create a bond and trust between them.

I’m prepared to be teaching my toddler first and foremost. 

I was just hoping there would be something that stood out in one breed over the other that could help me make a decision between the 2. 

Nope no matter what the breed its parental supervision & realistic expectations & ensuring the pup/dog has a safe area set up for its own time out from a toddler is what makes the final outcome .
The most bomb proof pup can end up fearful & an issue if the humans arent paying attention to warning signs & its tolerance level.
As they say the dog is only as good as the owners

41 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Nope no matter what the breed its parental supervision & realistic expectations & ensuring the pup/dog has a safe area set up for its own time out from a toddler is what makes the final outcome .
The most bomb proof pup can end up fearful & an issue if the humans arent paying attention to warning signs & its tolerance level.
As they say the dog is only as good as the owners

I have read some good reviews on crate training and also making it a safe haven place where the pup/dog can go if it needs time away to rest and relax away from my toddler or any stimulation. 

I agree I will also have to be alert and watch out for signs too. 

Covid has definitely made it harder to find either breed at the moment but at least it gives me more time to ensure we have more areas covered prior to bringing our new family member home. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Klm20 said:

Covid has definitely made it harder to find either breed at the moment but at least it gives me more time to ensure we have more areas covered prior to bringing our new family member home. 

Both breeds always have a waiting period not just because of covid the only difference Covid has had for us is since March we have had near 300 puppy inquiries .Unprecedented compared to the near 30 years of breeding .
Hardest part is weeding through the legit V the novelty/havent really thought about the life time commitment aspect .
The wait for the right breeder & pup is worth it & gives you plenty of time to set up & also teach your little one with a plush doggy how to pat nicely or read through the kids safe dog programme
You can do many things to assist your little one to not be fearful of a puppy that is going to jump,nip,snatch .Puppies will be puppies but many toddlers can be fearful of there excitement which can over stimulate a pup or make the pup not want to be with them .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that waiting for the right breeder is the best thing to do, luckily I’m not in a hurry and I’m happy to wait. 

I’ve seen both schnauzers and poodles advertised on the trading post and the like but I’d prefer a registered ethical breeder to ensure I get the best possible pup I can. 

Plus still after several months I’m unsure of the exact breed I want. Lol! 

Ive also heard from some breeders online that you also have to be more cautious who you sell pups to during this time as like you said it’s not a spare of the moment thing, also some people are buying pups and up selling them on other sites for ridiculous prices making it harder for legitimate people.

I've not had a poodle but I have a mini schnauzer and though he's absolutely perfect for me and I adore him, he's never been what I'd describe as a tolerant dog. Funny, routine oriented, smart, motivated, adaptable, busy, opinionated and suprisingly gentle for a terrier type (though still much sharper, impatient and more independent than previous herding breeds I owned, and not at all interested in people other than his people) but tolerant is not a word I'd use to describe him. He's had the moniker the fun police since he was a youngster - he has to sanction play and there is a time and place for play and it's when he says it is! :laugh: That goes for people but dogs too. He takes himself off to bed early and will come out and stare you down if you're being too loud after his bed time. Not tolerant at all :laugh:

So I guess going in knowing the hard to live with parts of a dog is most important. I'd probably go with a cavalier if I had young kids, never met one that wasn't tolerant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mackiemad said:

I've not had a poodle but I have a mini schnauzer and though he's absolutely perfect for me and I adore him, he's never been what I'd describe as a tolerant dog. Funny, routine oriented, smart, motivated, adaptable, busy, opinionated and suprisingly gentle for a terrier type (though still much sharper, impatient and more independent than previous herding breeds I owned, and not at all interested in people other than his people) but tolerant is not a word I'd use to describe him. He's had the moniker the fun police since he was a youngster - he has to sanction play and there is a time and place for play and it's when he says it is! :laugh: That goes for people but dogs too. He takes himself off to bed early and will come out and stare you down if you're being too loud after his bed time. Not tolerant at all :laugh:

So I guess going in knowing the hard to live with parts of a dog is most important. I'd probably go with a cavalier if I had young kids, never met one that wasn't tolerant.

He sounds like a real character! :laugh:

Cavaliers are beautiful dogs, I probably would’ve had them on my list if they were hypoallergenic. 

1 hour ago, mackiemad said:

Interesting you say your schnauzer isn’t tolerant, I have handled many in the 25 years I’ve been grooming and with a couple of exceptions they have all been tough tolerant little dogs and talking with their owners they were quite sociable as well.

14 hours ago, Klm20 said:

He sounds like a real character! :laugh:

Cavaliers are beautiful dogs, I probably would’ve had them on my list if they were hypoallergenic. 

The hypoallergenic dog thing is actually a myth! There can be no difference between breeds either (it’s been studied). Confirm that it is a dog allergy if you haven’t – it might be something like the dog bringing in grass pollen or their bedding not being washed enough and increasing dust mites. I’ve found that some doctors like to blame dogs when they may not make a difference. Then spend some time with the breeder’s dogs to see if you react to them or you could send a rag or T-shirt for them to rub over their dogs and post back to you. :) 

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 3

I have young kids and have a Standard Schnauzer. I was worried that the mini would be too small, and therfore frightened by busy kids. She's been excellent with them - She has an endless sense of fun, and being a confident dog, enjoys (closely supervised) running and chasing games.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

I have young kids and have a Standard Schnauzer. I was worried that the mini would be too small, and therfore frightened by busy kids. She's been excellent with them - She has an endless sense of fun, and being a confident dog, enjoys (closely supervised) running and chasing games.

Most its the other way around Stds can be rough & push kids over & have the complete opposite temperament to a Mini ,there not the same breed in 3 sizes .
Minis arent small there a sturdy robust dog ,Stds are strong & can just plough through kids so all 3 sizes come with different owner requirements & parental supervision .
I showed Stds for many many many years & they certainly arent for everyone ,there a working dog & need owners prepared to work the dog & there brain to be a great dog .
There also very loyal to there owners sometimes that can be taken too far even with play fighting amongst there humans

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

Some may find this bizarre bit if you get a mini schnauzer, I’d look for a salt and pepper rather than a black. I have consistently found temperament differences between the colours with the blacks being much sharper and more reactive. 

Just my experience as a trainer!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cosmolo said:

Some may find this bizarre bit if you get a mini schnauzer, I’d look for a salt and pepper rather than a black. I have consistently found temperament differences between the colours with the blacks being much sharper and more reactive. 

Just my experience as a trainer!

Interesting. Good to know. :)

6 hours ago, Selkie said:

A standard is about the size of a lab or golden retriever isn’t it? Just leaner? 

Smaller than a lab. She's a little shorter than my mother's Australian Cattle Dog, and less solid.

I second what Dogsfevr says - a Standard is different to a Mini. The three sizes are different breeds with different needs. Having said that, my Standard,  is more like a Mini than, say, a poodle.

I suppose it also depends on your child's personality, and your dog experience? My boys are very active, and I previously owned cattle dogs, so I'm used to sharpish dogs with strong protective instincts.

• Like 1