new puppy and choosing a show name....and pet insurance

NikkiandKane

I am very happy that I am unexpectedly getting a puppy in just over 2 weeks. I inquired with this breeder before the puppies were born but all of the puppies had homes from her waiting list. The breeder said they were looking to keep a male if he had the correct structure when assessed and if they decided not to keep him, would I be interested in a pet quality pup?

At the time I said to let me know if that happened. I did mention that I was interested in showing though. Yesterday she messaged me saying they had been assessed and he was of show quality, if I wanted to show, I could have him!!! hes adorable and I am very excited.

She just told me to choose a show name (2 actually, first and second choice). Where do I even start!?

This time we are 100% getting pet insurance. Can anyone offer advice on who to go with (or not go with)?

• Like 2

how exciting! Ok you can choose a name up to 30 letters or spaces including the prefix. So how many letters in the prefix? You can make a play with the parents name, with your previous dogs or your kids!

XXXXXXX (prefix) Chosen One

Pet insurance: I've used Pet Plan, Medibank Private and Woolworths. Always covered accident and illness. I never bothered with the ones that cover vaccinations as I never thought the extra cost was worth it.

10 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

how exciting! Ok you can choose a name up to 30 letters or spaces including the prefix. So how many letters in the prefix? You can make a play with the parents name, with your previous dogs or your kids!

I am happy to say who the breeder is, it is HotasHell Amstaffs, his father is HotasHell heir to the throne, so I was thinking of something a bit royal? Is there a way to check if a name is already in use? I cant seem to find anything.

I am really excited!! ready for some sleepless nights again 

• Like 1

so you have 20 letters/spaces to use and it doesn't matter if a name is already in use as long as the prefix is different. People would also say it is courteous not to use a name famous in the breed. With my first show dog I called her Fern, had never heard of another dog called Fern and it turned out there was a rather well known whippet whose call name was Fern - oops but at least it was a call name and really how's a person to know. You'll find lots of names are used several times.

Heir In Waiting

Waiting To Be King

Wanting To Be King

Heir Presumptive

King To Be

Prince Charming

Royal Ruler

Rules The World

• Like 1

Sometimes (often) , the breeder will have a theme for the litter.    Or is keen to use names linking to one or both parents.    My girl;s breeder was keen to combine elements of both the parent's names .. which is what we've done for the 3  main registered pups.

I do think it's rather nice to link back to at least one of the parents, as you are thinking.    I like @Rebanne's list.

And that's very exciting for you.:love:.  Sometimes the universe just manages to work things out.

Can't help on the pet insurance front .... sorry..

• Like 1

Heir of the dog had me in stitches.

we like “his royal reflection” given he looks like a mirror image of his Dad. Literally his marking are all reversed. I don’t have a clear frontal picture yet but I’ll post a side by side comparison below.

FB1FB9E9-4DE1-4CE6-A6C1-B65BE53ED038.jpeg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Names we tend to go with are names that don’t imply something or comes back to bite

Do you think 'His Royal Reflection' isnt good in that respect? to me it implies that he looks the same but in reverse? 

Call name is something completely unrelated. We are calling him 'Chase'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NikkiandKane said:

Do you think 'His Royal Reflection' isnt good in that respect? to me it implies that he looks the same but in reverse? 

Call name is something completely unrelated. We are calling him 'Chase'

At the end of the day the name has to be important to you & thats all that matters ,we just personally dont use things that for us imply perfection or one looks at the catalogue & says it doesnt really match its name .
That choice has meaning to you and you must be happy with choices 1 & 2

32 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

At the end of the day the name has to be important to you & thats all that matters ,we just personally dont use things that for us imply perfection or one looks at the catalogue & says it doesnt really match its name .
That choice has meaning to you and you must be happy with choices 1 & 2

Makes sense. I think we are happy with both, such short notice means we had to really rush to choose the name. I feel satisfied with it. 
kind of like “his royal highness” with a twist.

thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is interested, I choose Woolworths pet insurance. It’s very competitive price wise and the coverage is very similar to other policies. There are also some nice benefits for everyday rewards members. I get a $50 gift card for signing up and 10% off one shop per month for the term of the policy.

I just ordered a lickimat, a treat puzzle cube and slow feeder bowl. 2 fallow straps and still need a new bed and a bag of the food his breeder is using. Everything else I still have from Kane.

• Like 4