Shar pei

Belinda Wheeler

Hi Belinda! I used to foster shar pei and have owned 2. Currently have a lovely boy called Jonah. @coogie also has 2 pei. Where are you based? We are both in QLD and we have pei meet ups fairly regularly. Fire away with questions. There are also a couple of good Facebook pages, particularly for health issues. If you are on FB I can send you some links.

P1100756r.jpg

• Like 1

Hi thank you for your message I’m in Melbourne and I do have Facebook, this is our first shar pei that we got from a breeder down here and she turns one next month, and lately in the last few days and only after eating she is being aggressive towards our other dog and we aren’t sure why. I have separated them during feed time but once they have both finished she attacks, I thought she was playing being a pup and all but today it seemed more than that.

i am trying to start training her and showing her who is boss but I’m not sure why she is doing this. I was wondering if you had had any problems like this or if you might have some tips for them?

Apologies @Belinda Wheeler - I only just realised you'd re-posted. Is she desexed? What age, sex and breed is your other dog and is it desexed? I am no expert but have some experience with pei behavioural issues. Your pei girl is maturing and it is possible she is trying to vie for a better pack position. For now you need to definately feed seperately as you already know that is a trigger. And by that I mean at different ends of the house and at least one dog behind a door. All bowls should be lifted before the dogs rejoin each other and don't let either dog go and sniff around where the food was down. I'd also be careful when feeding treats and I'd be careful of them sharing beds and toys until everything is resolved. Any resource guarding opportunities could spark a fight. We actually went through a heartbreaking period of something similar and had to get a series of behaviouralists in - they all helped but the last one really helped us fine tune things and the strategies weren't hard to implement. She provided ongoing support too. We had done training and NILIF with both dogs but once our pei got in that aggressive/dominant head space she wouldn't listen to us and our other dog (a desexed female stafford) would go into self-protection mode and it would be on. Terrifying stuff. Part of our solution also involved tiring her out mentally and one on one time with each dog seperately, as well as stopping grand standing and controlling behaviours by our pei (which we'd just thought of as quirky but she was really controlling all of us). We had to put all toys away too. So it was a lot of things once we started to dig but it wasn't hard. Have you talked to the breeder to see if they can recommend anyone? If not join this FB page and ask. They cost far less money than after hours vet fees for a dog fight and both your dogs (and you humans) deserve to live in a peaceful household. I know how stressful the waiting and watching can be, particularly if your pei is otherwise an amazingly, loving dog. Pei are an intelligent, stubborn and physically strong breed so you need to get to the root of this before it is totally out of control. It's not fair on either dog either to be living in conflict.

Here is the page I would recommend - ask for behaviouralist recommendations on this page as I think it has gone beyond attending training when fights are already happening and risk of injury is already there. There are overseas based health and education groups too but if you go on there now you will be frozen with fear by the things people tell you! Also if you don't already have a pei savvy vet ask on the page for recommendations because you really do need one. They have health issues other breeds don't. Happy to talk more about my experiences if you need a listening ear. They are a very unique breed and I can't imagine my life without one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1613287052088125/

• Like 3

Hi Belinda, I agree with LG about the behaviourist and feeding separately.  No dishes left down and no sniffing or licking each other’s dishes. We also have a bit of a quiet time rule for 20 to 30 minutes after food. I would also have a health check- particularly eyes. If she is tacked or has entropion then if her sight is bothering her it could cause aggression. I would also crate train - it is invaluable if you may have ongoing issues.Personally I have found NILIF training very helpful with my more dominant female. She is getting on now ( will be 12 this year) and is less full on than she used to be. They are definitely different to train than working breeds, they are not always terribly biddable and need a fair bit of patience and persistence. I would get a health check, check in with the breeder to see if any of her litter mates families are having any similar behaviours. Hopefully it is just a bit of teenage boundary testing  and you will be able to nip it in the bud quickly. I am also happy to chat if you have any specific questions. Would love to see a photo of your girl 

• Like 4

Thank you so much for your advice on this I have started to pick up their bowls and put away after they have finished and we are sending our other dog off for a play with one of my kids while my pei sniffs around where the bowls were once she has done that for about 10mins they seem to be ok.

she is desexed we got her desexed yesterday actually and our other dog is also desexed too, they don’t share a bed or toys, and our pei is 10months I believe she had a checkup yesterday with the vet too and all went well her eyes look well, I haven’t contacted the breeder yet where we got her from but I might.

i have submitted my request on the Facebook link thank you I really appreciate it, they are fine now and sniffing each other, just after feed time which is really annoying.

I will post a photo up too

• Like 2