Piece of tooth left after extraction?

Hi everyone. My 4 year old dog had a fractured tooth removed a couple of months ago and I've only recently noticed there seems to have been a bit that wasn't taken out, after she's started whimpering while eating again. Don't know if this is the cause but I can't see anything else, her teeth are pearly white otherwise. Does anyone know if this is something that's done? Was it a mistake, or intentional? Or am I just looking at it wrong, and it's not part of the tooth at all? I'll have to take her back to the vet but just wanted some opinions on this, as it's pretty frustrating. Also, anything else that I can't see that might be a cause for the whimpering? She's fine otherwise, playing normally. Sorry for the bad picture, might be able to get a better one tomorrow. 

IMG_20200904_214431.jpg

From the photo, I'd say that the tooth you are looking at is actually one of the premolars - dogs have 4 of them, including the big carnassial one. Looks like the second premolar has been removed, and the third premolar next to the carnassial is what you are seeing there.

That said, I'm not sure whether it is an artifact on the photo, but there is a dark colour in that tooth that may or may not be something that could be causing your dog's discomfort.

Best to have the vet check it out for a definitive diagnosis though...

T.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'd thought briefly it might have been a different tooth but it was so small I wasn't sure. You're right, it is dark coloured and I'll have it checked out by the vet. Do you think, if it needs to be removed, because it's a smaller tooth it will cost less than the $500 first extraction? 

Probably not cost much less than the first extraction unfortunately... there are anaesthetic costs, etc... but there shouldn't be any need for the scale and polish that was done in the first surgery, so that should take something off the price. It also depends on the difficulty of the extraction (if required)... just because it's s smaller tooth doesn't mean it will be easier to extract.

As a consolation, the issue with that tooth may not have been evident during the last surgery, so they didn't miss it at that time. Sometimes luck is just not on your side in these things.

T.

• Like 1