Experiences with dog transport

Myarra

Hi all,

My puppy died over the weekend whilst being transported from Qld to SA. The breeder has requested and paid for an autopsy through Adelaide University clinic. I won't name the transport company, however I am keen to know if this has happened to others? I guess more will be known when the results of the autopsy are available but to me it appears she died from dehydration and organ failure from that. I don't breed dogs but we do breed horses and cattle so have some relevant knowledge re animal health and we transport our own animals all over the country for competitions. It's been a really distressing time and I thought I had organised her transport with a reputable company. It's not something I have organised before and now I am left wondering if other puppies have experienced a similar horrific experience. 

Thank you everyone.

• Sad 7

Well, there are no autopsy results yet but the breeder has offered our family the pup that she had retained as she feels so awful about what happened. She is flying here on Sunday. My blood pressure is through the roof and have so many mixed emotions. So heartbroken that the breeder is saying goodbye to the pup she has been bonding with, anxious about the flight, still processing the trauma of what happened, but then excited to welcome our new family member. Fingers crossed it all goes well this weekend.

• Like 9

On 2020/9/9 at 6:32 PM, Myarra said:

Yes, it was road transport. I'm kicking myself now for not choosing air transport.

Don't blame yourself. It's just a bad luck. My puppy was transfered by air in March, however, died in a week. I don't know how many times I regret not to choose road transport. You are lucky to get a puppy from the breeder. My breeder promised to give me one and then changed her mind when she finially got litters in July. The puppy was for my daughter's 11 birthday. Can you imagine how sad she would be? It looks we couldn't have a puppy in a couple of years due to the high demand and crazy price. All the best! 

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2020 at 3:42 PM, Myarra said:

Hi all,

My puppy died over the weekend whilst being transported from Qld to SA. The breeder has requested and paid for an autopsy through Adelaide University clinic. I won't name the transport company, however I am keen to know if this has happened to others? I guess more will be known when the results of the autopsy are available but to me it appears she died from dehydration and organ failure from that. I don't breed dogs but we do breed horses and cattle so have some relevant knowledge re animal health and we transport our own animals all over the country for competitions. It's been a really distressing time and I thought I had organised her transport with a reputable company. It's not something I have organised before and now I am left wondering if other puppies have experienced a similar horrific experience. 

Thank you everyone.

Wow, that is terrible :( I am sorry!  I think you should definitely name the transport company even to avoid other people going through the same tragedy.  I have this fear, looking at relocating to NZ with my lab and it scares the crap out of me!

18 hours ago, NeoLyon said:

Wow, that is terrible :( I am sorry!  I think you should definitely name the transport company even to avoid other people going through the same tragedy.  I have this fear, looking at relocating to NZ with my lab and it scares the crap out of me!

I've sent pups much further then NZ and they arrived fine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, persephone said:

@sandgrubber any words of wisdom? 

Use a reputable pet transport company.  The rules are so complicated that DIY doesn't work well.  I hit problems because my dogs had to do a domestic flight before the international flight, and the company I worked with was so focused on the international part of the journey, no one informed me that a vet check was required within three days of the domestic flight. This caused several hours of intense anxiety waiting for vets to open and rescheduling flights, but it worked out OK.  So if it's a multi-leg journey, make sure you have met requirements for every leg. 

• Like 2