Let’s talk about poop !

Daisys Mum

2 hours ago, Snook said:

That's a great update. Life must be a lot easier with fewer accidents and such a relief to have found the culprit for the diarrhoea. I hope the vet appointment goes well on Thursday. Please keep us updated on how your darling Sasha is doing. :heart:

Thanks Snook x

Sasha had her Vet visit today.. my Vet didn’t think having bloods was necessary but I insisted... I said if there is something that shows up we can get onto it quick and if it turns about to be really serious then we can deal with that too... so he agreed.

He is going to ring me tomorrow when he gets her results.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snook said:

It's good that you insisted on the blood tests and I'm surprised the vet didn't think they were necessary. Most vets seem to think bloods every 6 months or so are a good idea once they get as old as our senior dogs are. 

He is really old school and has the ideology that she is old so of course she will have issues like be deaf, blind etc... it drives me nuts. He is a good Vet though, my dogs love him.

Waiting for his phone call but I won’t get a call until this afternoon I expect.

The Vet rang and her bloods came back really good ! There is nothing that is showing up that’s any real concern ... I’m so relieved.

Oh and he said her heart is as strong as an ox ... he said she is the healthiest 15 year old dog he has seen in years, apart from her eyesight, hearing, and a couple of other age related issues she is doing amazing :)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Snook said:

That's brilliant news. :) It must be a huge relief to know she's in such good shape, aside from the issues you've mentioned. It must be a hard balance for some vets when it comes to ageing dogs. The vet we've been seeing seems to go to the extreme in the opposite direction of your vet, and wants to test for anything and everything and throw a million medicines and supplements at a dog, just because of their age and regardless of how they're actually going. It's great that your vet will listen to your requests to be more thorough with the check up though and I'm glad that it sounds like you'll get a lot more time with your darling girl. :heart:

Thanks Snook :)  He doesn’t believe in vaccinating old dogs ... he prefers you to just let them be.

12 hours ago, Snook said:

I don't generally believe in vaccinating old dogs either and don't vaccinate Justice any more. 

I agree.  I think I stopped faxing when my dogs were about 10.  And whilst  100% sure I’ll never have another puppy, I would probably be even more circumspect than that.

What you are describing may be the beginning of some degeneration of the spine and nerve impingement. My Dalmatian is 13 and is now on Synovan monthly (for the spine), 300mg Gabapentin 4 times a day as required for nerve pain and acupuncture from a qualified human/dog Chiro. Huge improvement after a very acute onset.

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

What you are describing may be the beginning of some degeneration of the spine and nerve impingement. My Dalmatian is 13 and is now on Synovan monthly (for the spine), 300mg Gabapentin 4 times a day as required for nerve pain and acupuncture from a qualified human/dog Chiro. Huge improvement after a very acute onset.

When we were at the Vet he gave her spine a good going over but he couldn’t find any sore spots.. that’s not to say that it’s a possibility... Just had a read about Synovan as I hadn’t heard of it before... we normally give her Carprofen but will file info that away in case we need It down the track.

Edited by Sashas Mum

13 hours ago, Sashas Mum said:

When we were at the Vet he gave her spine a good going over but he couldn’t find any sore spots.. that’s not to say that it’s a possibility... Just had a read about Synovan as I hadn’t heard of it before... we normally give her Carprofen but will file info that away in case we need It down the track.

They don't always show they are sore. Did your vet look at the reflexes on her back paws? Synovan is the next development of Carprofen.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 11:31 AM, The Spotted Devil said:

They don't always show they are sore. Did your vet look at the reflexes on her back paws? Synovan is the next development of Carprofen.

Yes he did .. I did have a read up and will definitely give it a try.

• Like 1