Awaiting my new puppy, likelihood of scam?

mcchicken

Hi all, 

We rescued a Westie last year and in recent months have been looking for a Westie puppy to raise. I was surprised that there weren't too many registered breeders online, compared to other breeds. And most either didn't respond to my email, or responded saying their waitlists were absolutely full. Not to mention in a one month period we only came across two litters on Gumtree (and both were 6-7k each which we were not prepared to pay). I didn't know they were so rare! Although obviously COVID has an impact this year. 

Anyways a breeder responded to me yesterday advising they have a new litter with available puppies. That I can come and look at the end of the month to pick and name "mine" and get its microchip number, and pick it up end of October. She doesn't take deposits (which is good) and the puppies are only 3k which is cheap for me considering the prices I saw online. I am just a bit worried as I can't find much information about the breeder online, so no reviews, etc. And I'm still waiting for her to send pictures. How do I know this is 100% legitimate?

I am total newbie at purchasing dogs so am just a little worried that I'm getting prepared for little Taco but that it will fall through or something. Is this normal?

Advice appreciated :)

On the face of it, that sounds legit.     The first check I'd make is with Dogs NSW to check whether the breeder is ANKC registered.  In some ways .. absence of a flashy website is not a bad thing at all.  It might well be a sign of a breeder who is not particularly tech savvy, and who spends a lot of time with dogs and puppies, rather than on a computer.    The price seems reasonable  (given that a friend's daughter paid $1k for a petshop Westie puppy about 10 years ago!)

It's worth checking up on the most likely health problems in the breed .. from my limited knowledge, skin allergies, heart problems and joingt problems like luxating patellas - and then maybe gently asking the breeder about those ..has she come across them in her lines, what sort of steps if any can be taken to prevent or mitigate them.

HopefETF spETFully some of the Westie experts will be along with some more advice soon.

Edited by Tassie
ETF typo
  • Like 3

If they have invited you to their place, haven’t asked for a deposit, are asking a reasonable price and are happy you pick up the pup in person they sound likely to be legit to me - not every breeder has or wants some big online presence. Especially if they don’t breed often. 

I don’t know what health tests are recommended for Westies but I would ask about that for the parents, and confirm what registry they are with, and then use your own judgement when you visit.

If you are after a pet you should be able to assess the parents’ nature (or often just Mum as the sire may not live there) and how the breeders operate for yourself. 

No-one else can give you a 100% guarantee. If mum and siblings aren’t there when you visit I would be concerned they might be brokers selling for a farm, but otherwise it sounds ok. 

• Like 5

Thank you everyone :) Yes I have a senior Westie Ruby who has a lot of skin problems and I did a lot of research on other common health problems they may face so well equipped to handle them but will definitely ask after the health of their other Westie adults. 

Thanks for reassuring me. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tassie said:

On the face of it, that sounds legit.     The first check I'd make is with Dogs NSW to check whether the breeder is ANKC registered.  In some ways .. absence of a flashy website is not a bad thing at all.

They aren't on the DogsNSW breeders list but to be fair only two breeders are listed there. They are listed on the DOL list.

Oh that page only shows the two breeders who have presumably paid to have their advertisements there,.   To check for sure you would need to ring Dogs NSW.  Not necessary though, as all the breeders on the NSW DOL page have their Dogs NSW membership number there.  

So it's all sounding really good .. your breeder is probably happy to know that you are experienced with the breed.  

Don't forget that we do love to see puppy pics!   Exciting times for you.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tassie said:

Don't forget that we do love to see puppy pics!   Exciting times for you.

Me too :) I am still waiting for her to send pics. Part of the reason I was a bit suss! But if she's listed on DOL that reassures me.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, mcchicken said:

Thank you everyone :) Yes I have a senior Westie Ruby who has a lot of skin problems and I did a lot of research on other common health problems they may face so well equipped to handle them but will definitely ask after the health of their other Westie adults. 

Thanks for reassuring me. 

Hello there Ruby's Hooman,

regarding Ruby's skin problems, message Amanda at Qld Westie Rescue facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/westierescueqld/ or email her here:

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=REDINBRIN

she will advise you on diet (Westies do better on raw) she has had many bad-skin Westies come through that have responded well to her care. Amanda will most likely give you her phone number so you can phone her at a specified time.

You could also ask he about your new pup's breeder, she keeps a data-base in her head of the not-so-good ones

Good luck,

B.

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update that the breeder still has not sent me any pictures of the puppies that were supposedly born at the beginning of last month and that I am meant to be collecting at the end of this month. I am getting a bit worried now, but since she is registered with Dogs NSW and seems to be elderly I am giving the benefit of the doubt that customer management is simply not her priority and everything is still on the up and up. 

3 hours ago, mcchicken said:

I just wanted to update that the breeder still has not sent me any pictures of the puppies that were supposedly born at the beginning of last month and that I am meant to be collecting at the end of this month. I am getting a bit worried now, but since she is registered with Dogs NSW and seems to be elderly I am giving the benefit of the doubt that customer management is simply not her priority and everything is still on the up and up. 

Some people are more responsive if you phone... oldies especially 

• Like 4

I am part of a puppy scam group on Facebook and there have been quite a few incidences of people stealing ANKC numbers to advertise. The good thing for you is no deposit paid if there is a problem.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2020 at 7:12 AM, Pucapo said:

I am part of a puppy scam group on Facebook and there have been quite a few incidences of people stealing ANKC numbers to advertise. The good thing for you is no deposit paid if there is a problem.

GOOD sign, the scammers want the money up  front or else

I think the advice to phone is a good idea. us oldies get so busy totally forget things way to easily, n lose track of time,  tomorrow or soon as I finish this is usually what happens

• Like 1