Bark Busters

cindybill

Has anyone in the Brisbane area used bark busters before? I received their card this morning from my vet. I am having some resource guarding issues with my 6 month old cavoodle and has growled at me and the kids on 3 different occasions in the last 3 months. I think I might be taking a soft approach to being her leader but thinking I might need some professional help to guide me how to handle this as its a bit of a worry. 

I cant find much in the way of reviews on line, so just curious if anyone used them or know of them. I am in Brisbane north east and think the lady I would get is Michelle. 

thanks so much 

I have not used them myself, but have seen a number of posts which are NOT very supportive of their methods.  I am sure you will be able to find private dog behaviourists in your area who are better able to advise you..  Hopefully some of the local Queensland folk will come along and be able to recommend.

It’s important that in trying to help our dogs we do no harm. I learnt that lesson the hard way.

A dog trainer friend in Brisbane recommended you contact Jodie Westfield at InSync Pet Services – she has a keen interest in dogs and kids, or Bec Hamilton at Mind Body & Bowl.

In the meantime I suggest learning more about dog body language. You could download the Dog Decoder app and do the quizzes with your kids, or print off Lili Chin’s Boogie Doggie Language poster to look at and refer back to. Also check out Family Paws Parent Education (also here & here), The Family Dog (watch the Stop the 77 video and age appropriate ones for kids), and Reisner Veterinary Behaviour Service.

When the subtle signs of fear, stress and anxiety are go unnoticed or ignored, that’s when dogs feel they have no other choice but to growl to say “hey! stop that!” And if that growl isn’t heeded, or worse punished (don’t do that, it’s removing the battery from the smoke alarm), that’s when they’ll progress to snarling, snapping or biting. So when you see those subtle signs, stop what you’re doing, give your puppy space, and take note of what triggered it for when you see your trainer.

I want you to know that while it’s not good that your dog feels the need to growl, it is fantastic that she has that in her repertoire. If my dog growls (rarely happens these days as we’ve changed our behaviour and how he feels about and responds to triggers) our response is thank you for growling, we were silly and weren’t listening to you earlier. :grimace:

Oh and she’ll need a vet check in case there’s a medical reason contributing such as pain, but don’t necessarily take behaviour advice from a vet as they may not have studied it.

Sorry for the essay, just want to help you step off on the right paw!

http://www.drjensdogblog.com/why-its-hard-being-tiny-and-cute/

• Like 3

BB are a franchise - so not everyone is 'reading from the same page'  the basics are the same , but you will never be sure  what you'll get when you make a booking :(I did a bit of online searching last night, and couldn't find many good reviews . 

You have been given some excellent advice here from experience and knowledgable folks :) I hope you find a reputable trainer , do some online research , and stick around (we love seeing photos, and getting updates.)