Breeders terms

asal

I expect there is a thread on it. but cant seem to spot one.

I have a bitch a friend wants to lease and put to the male of his choice.

what can I ask for or expect in return?

totally new territory for me

I ask for a pup of my choice for the lease of the girl plus another one if I am also providing the stud.

i have always done this and it seems to be acceptable. - otherwise they don’t get to lease the girl!

• Like 1

Depends on many factors.
I have plenty of friends who ask for nothing as there helping there friend go forward(obviously vet bills etc are there cost ).
A pup in return goes pear shape when  one pup so a contract outlining what happens is a must & know of more issues with this not going to plan ,will the bitch owner then re lease the bitch to make a litter ??What agreement is made by both parties if 1 pup ??

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Really you are free to make any deal you wish... However you are talking about two different things here... a Lease or Breeders Terms.

1.  to lease the bitch over to another breeder - From my understanding of ANKC - this requires a written agreement between yourself and the other person which shows conditions of the lease (usually done for another breeder wanting to have a litter)...  length of time of lease and further points such as how much you receive either cash or pup;  How many pups in litter and what age are pups considered surviving (i.e. 3 days, 3 weeks, 8 weeks);who is responsible for vet expenses for litter; who pays/how much should the bitch die ,.... The bitch is then signed over to the other breeder for the agreed time.

2. Breeders Terms - this was usually done when someone gets a pup from a breeder.... however the breeder wishes to have a litter (or litters) in future. In this case usually the bitch stays in the breeders name but resides with the family.. again... a written agreement should be made so that both parties understand the terms... This is often a great way for a new person to become involved in breeding themselves, this allows them to be involved with the litter and learn about breeder.... From my experience it was a common thing back in the 80's and it was how I started out.... Conditions can vary dependant upon what is agreed.... It might be 1 litter or minimum 6 pups (with survival age considered); who pays what costs (ie normal living costs compared to the litter costs); who pays for health testing for breeding such as hips/elbow; etc etc

Ideally you should feel really comfortable dealing with this other breeder and try to think of all scenarios so that you both understand where you stand... Remember any agreement made should really be a fair deal for both parties..... good luck

• Like 1