Anal Glands

Little Gifts

My stafford Stussy has developed anal gland issues. She is almost 13 and it has just started happening over the last 3 to 4 months. She's needed them expressed twice now with one side always being very bad (and obviously uncomfortable for her).

I was talking to the vet today and he said we could increase her fibre intake as it sometimes helps - bigger poos push against the gland and help it secrete more naturally apparently. Despite her desire to eat anything and everything she still only does quite delicate poos so I think it might be worth a try.

Has anyone else added fibre to their doggos diet to assist anal gland impaction and if yes what food products would you suggest we try? She is not a fussy eater and likes her vegies, rice and pasta and her weight has dropped with age so the type of fibre I feed her can be managed weight wise too.

Thank you!

Psyllium husk is the key but you can also add edible bone (eg chicken frames) or even minced frames if you’d prefer. Both will firm the faeces. However one thing I’ve discovered that across 4 dogs - 3 related - that the nature of the discharge varies incredibly which can also alter whether they are discharged easily or not. I check my dogs regularly and gently express them only if needed. Disposable gloves, tissues and lots of treats afterwards and the response I get to “check your bum?” is waaaay too enthusiastic :rofl:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Psyllium husk is the key but you can also add edible bone (eg chicken frames) or even minced frames if you’d prefer. Both will firm the faeces. However one thing I’ve discovered that across 4 dogs - 3 related - that the nature of the discharge varies incredibly which can also alter whether they are discharged easily or not. I check my dogs regularly and gently express them only if needed. Disposable gloves, tissues and lots of treats afterwards and the response I get to “check your bum?” is waaaay too enthusiastic :rofl:

In the words of Meatloaf "I will do anything for love...but I wont do that!". Nope! Happy to pay my vet to stick his fingers into Stussy's anus (I did apologise to him)! This is a new issue for her and it seems to be mostly on one side. I'll source some psyllium husk and hopefully that helps lengthen the time she needs it done. I just found a useful link about how much to use too.

And thank you Powerlegs for that advice too!

• Like 1

Now I know what to feel and how to 'attempt' to do it myself I will give it a try as soon as I see signs of her obsessing with her bottom again. I've been giving her more vegies at present and will get some psyllium husk with my next grocery order. It's a new issue for us and I certainly don't want her feeling uncomfortable or developing additional problems from it. As it is she will scoot on the coarsest things she can find outside (our carpet doesn't cut it) so I do wipe her bottom and have had to put some neocourt on a scratch as I was very worried about an infected wound developing in that area from it. Anyway, everything is good at present since it was expressed again earlier in the week and I can keep on top of it now.

Thank you for all the advice.