Is it just PTSD?

NikkiandKane

Our new little fella Chase has been settling in well, sleeping well at night and sleeping lots in the day with lots of fun little play times and some training.

yesterday was the first day he ate a lot at his meals but he has been eating reasonably the whole time. 
this morning while training Chase to a) stay on his bed and b) walk loosely on lead he ate quite a lot of liver treats in tiny pieces and some boiled chicken breast. I went to the shops and left him in a “safe” space outside with nothing he could eat except maybe a few dried gum leaves or some tiny pieces of bark (it’s a tiled outdoor area).

he was fine when I came home but tired (I was gone for about 30 minutes and my husband was here working, he peaked out at him periodically and sad he wasn’t distressed at all).

he was tired so I put him in the crate and he had a nap. After maybe 40 minutes he vomited in his crate, looked like most of his breakfast with a few darker hard pieces in it, possibly liver treats or little pieces of bark mulch. He wasn’t too bothered and ran around and played afterwards, then had a massive drink of water. I have him a very small amount of lunch and took him outside to the toilet where he vomited his lunch.

he really wanted to re-eat it. There was nothing but food in his vomit and I took him inside and out him in his crate where he is sleeping soundly.

i seriously think I have ptsd from Kane, so far I have not seen chase try to eat anything inappropriate except for leaves which he seems not to want to consume but just chew. I am now super stressed and if he vomited again we are off to the vet but just wanted to ask people......... is it normal for a healthy puppy to just vomit because of too many treats or something similar? 
I’m freaking out!!!!!!

Very normal for any dog off any age to vomit a food that there not use to .

Liver doesn’t suit all dogs but I find the dehydrated ones the worse for dogs to stomach .

Over excited dog,pulling can all add to a vomit..

You don’t need to use treats all the time 

• Like 1

Maybe smaller meals for a while? (Is it dry food?). Has he got and soft poos?
I'm no help really, but it does sound like he's just far too excited and guzzling water on top of food is a good recipe for a spew.  

I understand the long term effects though. :(  I'm hyperaware of anything that looks even close to a seizure. Like when our old girl Missy rolls around on her back in the kitchen.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NikkiandKane said:

is it normal for a healthy puppy to just vomit because of too many treats or something similar? 

yes! 
their tummies often just say "NOPE",and throw everything back into the environment. 

What happened with Darling Kane will have affected you very deeply, and you will react strongly to all sorts of things. :kissbetter: 
Did you know you can train without treats? Just pats/love work just as well <3 

Since my Molly had a reaction to 1080 poison in my bedroom /the rest of the house after waking up alongside me one morning, I have not had a dog sleep inside. I can not. 
I can understand your worries.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

He’s fine :champagne:

running around happily and being naughty!

hes eaten some Boiled chicken breast and a very small amount of dry food and kept it down for a couple of hours. 
he’s had a normal bowel motion and is perfectly happy *exhale*
thanks everyone, it’s going to be an emotional journey I think.

• Like 7

So glad all is well.    I definitely think the dried liver treats were the culprit.   For training purposes you are much better off using small soft treats which you can break into small pieces, so a 1 cm cube can actually make 4 rewards.   Pup thinks it's a jackpot .. which it is , because the act of rewarding and our excitement are part of the whol reward picture.

I was just thinking .. the only place my BCs get dried liver treats is at the vet office .. and that's just one each, so no problems.

Now dear little Chase ... please no more scaring the momma.

• Like 2

Small pieces of cubed carrot can be good as training treats... will be a bit easier on the tummy, and not likely to make him fat or get diarrhoea.

I used to use lamb puffs (dried lamb lung), as it was less likely to cause tummy upsets... but found that carrot works just as well. Make the cubes small - less than 1cm cubed - just enough that he gets a taste as he gulps it down after being a good boy, OK?

T.

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

My favourite commercial treats are (were with an IBD dog?!) K9 Naturals Freeze Dried Lamb Tripe. It is puppy crack. I would break them in two for the tiny dog. With a puppy I’d have half the mind to get one of the prime 100 rolls that are suitable for growth and dice it into little cubes!

Ohh it is. We call it puppy popcorn here as its so fluffy. Its not cheap but its so good, super stinky and puppy friendly.

Prime 100 rolls were what I came here to suggest. My puppy is nearly 5 months and only now is he able to stomach liver treats without getting sick and he's on a raw diet. We use prime 100 and tripe for training,  or the love em puppy treats.

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone ;)

the boiled chicken breast seems quite good for him. I might look at dehydrating some myself.

im well familiar with SPD rolls thanks to Kane but haven’t used them as treats.

i will look i to the tripe m, can’t say I’ve seen it! I’m so relieved he is ok today. It’s my birthday :party:

• Like 4